Respected Contributor

Re: Sopranos and Christmas Choirs

I like Christmas choirs.Smiley Happy

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Super Contributor

Tony and Carmella like Christmas Choirs too.

Honored Contributor

On 12/26/2014 insomniac said:

Dropping (or raising) notes an octave can hurt a song: it's not at all the same!

As others have noted, sopranos are vital--but balance is also key.

OP didn't say what bothered her but if someone changed the "sleep in heavenly peace" part of Silent Night, that would offend me. She must have heard a really bad soprano.

Esteemed Contributor

I know plenty of amateur singers (all parts) who have the talent to be professional musicians but have no desire to do so. Geesh....just sit back and enjoy the beautiful music.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

Perhaps the OP should become a composer and songwriter. Obviously, the composers of many great choral works have been doing it wrong for centuries.

Honored Contributor

On 12/26/2014 sydsgma said: Lol..obviously the op does not like choral music.,
Obviously the OP doesn't appreciate any music finer what one hears on American Idol.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 12/27/2014 Kachina624 said:
On 12/26/2014 sydsgma said: Lol..obviously the op does not like choral music.,
Obviously the OP doesn't appreciate any music finer what one hears on American Idol.

You couldn't be more wrong. I don't dislike choral music, I do dislike high pitched sharp singing. I don't watch American Idol or The Voice but bits and pieces of it show up on entertainment shows so I'm familiar with them. We attend the symphony, buy season tickets every year so it's not like we're country music fans.

Trusted Contributor

There are lovely sopranos and also sopranos who may be technically correct, but their voices just do not blend. I have been in some community theater productions and you can hear their voices over the others, which is not good. Although, like I said, they are singing the notes correctly.

Honored Contributor

This is an odd thread.

Esteemed Contributor

In SATB singing, soprang-alto-tenor-bass, the sopranos are DIVAS for the most part: That ultimate "you're gonna hear me if I have to peel the paint off the wall" soprano. Can't stand it either.

I'm 67 and have been singing Alto II for donkeys years and also sang as a child, teen, in college, then did some barbershop and won regional and international contests in quartets and choruses. However, in the classical sense of SATB, sopranos take the lot. It's not only due to the range in which they sing, but the presence of vibrato and or tremolo and "education" or lack thereof.

Those who have made comments re the TV singing contest shows, those singers are shouting, which is non-musical. Won't watch those. Music was intended to be dynamically fluid, but is not in pop music 99% of the time.

For those of us who have had the awsome experience to perform in public, nothing can describe the thrill of working together toward one-ness in creating pleasing sounds through work on vowels, consonants, rhythm, synchopation and dynamics. Through intense section rehearsals to bringing all four parts together to begin to make choral sense out of "Bach's B Minor Mass," is a love of expression through use of one's instrument - the voice.

To abuse that love is anathema to the tenants of vocalization.