Super Contributor
I think Red Foley had a hit recording of Old Shep, way before Elvis. Would have to look it up. Probably how it got into the public domain, although it could be much older in origin.
Esteemed Contributor
I haven’t read all the replies, but I already see patriotic songs mentioned. And I agree. However…

This is why I HATE when people try to put their own spin and riffs to these songs. IMO, it loses the emotional connection people have to them. I know I’m usually singing along to the Star Spangled Banner in my head and when it gets slowed down or “trilly”, I can’t do that. Isn’t it the best when the entire stadium is singing along?
Honored Contributor

Re: Songs That Bring Tears

[ Edited ]

Blackbird. Cover versions get to me more than the original. It makes me cry my head off. But I also love it because it's just so beautiful. Life affirming.

The story behind why Paul McCartney wrote it is moving too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9zl_XzYQqc

When I'm in the right mood some of U2's classic songs make me cry as well.

Oh and when I was a kid The Rainbow Connection by Kermit made me cry because I really believed it and I just wanted Kermit to be happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS3Lkc6Gzlk

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

The following three songs always make me cry when I hear them.

WIld World - Cat Stevens

Bell Bottom Blues - Derek and the Dominoes

Love on the Rocks - Neil Diamond

Esteemed Contributor
Well until today, I had a list based on phases of my life. Today, I heard a group of orphans in Kyiv, I think it was, singing the Ukraine national anthem. The tune is in my head and so is the sadness
Honored Contributor

Unchained Melody  my heart thinks of my loss of my husband..i can cry  everytime.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Super Contributor

Save Me by Jelly Roll

Everybody Hurts by R.E.M

Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton

Angel by Sarah McLachlan

I Will Remember You by Sarah McLachlan

She Will Be Loved by Maroon 5

When We Were Young by Adele

Regular Contributor

Sunshine on My Shoulder by John Denver.  Not sure why it gets to me but it always does even more so now that he's gone! 

New Contributor

2 by Garth Brooks -

Mom

Send Them on Down the Road

Honored Contributor

'Unbreak My Heart'  (Toni Braxton)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).