Honored Contributor

Re: Just the words bring tears....I'll bet many can relate:...

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@just bee   Just the words bring tears....I'll bet many can relate:

Ticking away the moments
That make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours
In an off-hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground
In your home town
Waiting for someone or something
To show you the way
Tired of lying in the sunshine
Staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today
And then the one day you find
Ten years have gone behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun
So you run and you run
To catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way
But you're older, shorter of breath
And one day closer to death
Every year is getting shorter
Never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught
Or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over
Thought I'd something more to say
Home
Home again
I like to be here
When I can
When I come home
Cold and tired
It's good to warm my bones
Beside the fire
Far away
Across the field
Tolling on the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spell

@phoenixbrd 

Have you seen the 2012 video on YouTube of Trinity Orchestra's version?  I watched it several times yesterday and looked at the young performers in the orchestra and thought about how this might be the best time of their lives.  They have everything to look forward to.

And then I thought about how many would find work in their chosen field and how others would end up doing something else.  And then I thought about the day when they would hear these lyrics and they would have a whole new meaning.

Some of the best, don't you think?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Regular Contributor

Re: Just the words bring tears....I'll bet many can relate:...

John Mayer - I Guess I Just Feel Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQEoLHeI0tA

Maroon 5 - Memories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlPhMPnQ58k

Super Contributor

Try to Remember by the Brothers Four.  Gets me every time!

Honored Contributor

Greenfields. The Brothers Four.

Esteemed Contributor

It is called "I Will Always Love You."  I don't know if it has been mentioned and can't at the  moment recall the singer but that soneg holds a special place in my heart for a very personal reason. Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Super Contributor
qualitygal, Old Shep was a traditional Southern song Elvis Presley performed when he first started out on the Louisiana Hayride show, among others. He recorded it about 1956 and it was released on a single. I heard it on the radio, my best friend and I, when I was 8 or 9. We cried ourselves SICK, and to this day I avoid it like the plague.

Many years later, my husband and I were in a Mexican restaurant on Kauai which had an awesome sound system. We were sitting there waiting for our order when - yep - what should start playing but Old Shep. I truly thought I was going to die, as there was no way to turn it off. I cried ugly tears until it was over! It had lost none of its power.
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

It is called "I Will Always Love You."  I don't know if it has been mentioned and can't at the  moment recall the singer but that soneg holds a special place in my heart for a very personal reason. Heart

Whitney Houston

Honored Contributor

@catwoman48 wrote:
qualitygal, Old Shep was a traditional Southern song Elvis Presley performed when he first started out on the Louisiana Hayride show, among others. He recorded it about 1956 and it was released on a single. I heard it on the radio, my best friend and I, when I was 8 or 9. We cried ourselves SICK, and to this day I avoid it like the plague.

Many years later, my husband and I were in a Mexican restaurant on Kauai which had an awesome sound system. We were sitting there waiting for our order when - yep - what should start playing but Old Shep. I truly thought I was going to die, as there was no way to turn it off. I cried ugly tears until it was over! It had lost none of its power.

Thank you for that. I was about 9 then at that time too.  I never knew about Elvis doing that song.  Don't know how my dad knew it by heart.  It truly was a tear-jerker.

Trusted Contributor

Eric Clapton's Tears in Heaven.

Occasional Contributor

The Winner Takes It All........by ABBA