Respected Contributor

Re: Song comes on and you....

Anything by U2...

Honored Contributor

Tony Orlando and Dawn.  Yikes!  That is for yesteryear.  Today, gangster rap that degrades women.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

@ProudMa  Funny...I love all the songs that were mentioned in this thread. But then again, they were songs I grew up with and still sing to them in the car.

The songs that I don't really care for are way more from recent times. Not all, just the ones that degrade females and call them b!tches and ho s. Like really??? Awful stuff and I am by far not a prude and very open-minded.

Honored Contributor

I have to say I like just about ninety percent of the songs everyone else change the station for.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBGPhyllis was an amazing songstress.  Boyyyy oh boy.  Jazzy, soulful broken hearted songs all the time.  She was gone too soon, (depression and drugs in the 90's).  I've posted a pic of her here in the Community in another thread about songs (recently).

Alanis Morrisette's voice is hauntingly beautiful.  The thing about her music was always "dark" to me anyway.  When you mentioned sad songs I immediately thought of these two singers.

My fav by Alanis is Uninvited....

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

Our local park rents out pavilions. There is a really nice walking path through the area. But when I hear music coming from those pavilions, I can't walk by fast enough!

Needless to say, nobody plays Bach or Tchikovsky.

Valued Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

@candys mine Agree about story lines being inspiring. I like IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL song for same reason -- the story line and courage of father who lost his family is emotional and inspiring. My fave 'America' song is AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL. No dry eyes when I hear this patriotic song. I also like THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND, Woody Guthrie. My favorite 4th grade elementary teacher (taught music AND social science) led us in this song each day. We sang it to the top of our lungs. Good memories.    

@jeanlake: Speaking of Woody Guthrie, I heard for the first time his song Called Deportee. The story behind it made me choke up. Never new about the plane crash in Los Gatos, Calif on Jan 28,1948. Herad the Song on PBS Songs of Hope.

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

867-5309  Tommy Tutone

Hey

Jenny Jenny who can I turn to ?

You give me something  I can hold on to

I know you'll think I'm like the others  before

Who saw your name and number on the wall

Jenny I've got your  number

I need to make you mine

Jenny don't change your number

eight six seven five three oh nine

Wow - this brings back memories.  I liked this song.  Can't remember the last time I heard it though @skatting44 .

Honored Contributor

I feel the earth move under my feet   errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Honored Contributor

@threecees wrote:

Any song from the B-52's, particularly Love Shack. Gives me a 

headache, can't stand any of their songs.

Oh!!!!! You're right!!!!!!