Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes Sympathy Is Hard To Come By

A 28 yr. old man was being strangled by his 15 ft. pet snake.  The article did not specify boa or python.

Police killed the snake and the guy was taken to the hospital. He is lucky to be alive.

It bears repeating, people, what part of wild animal is hard to grasp.

What is wrong with your basic puppy, kitty, bird, gerbil, bunny?  

Respected Contributor

Re: Sometimes Sympathy Is Hard To Come By

Today I saw an article about a huge python that had escaped (or was dumped) somewhere in Florida. It was found and captured and was a female carrying 1200 eggs. People were upset that it was killed. Wish they would make it against the law to sell or own exotic pets like pythons, etc. People buy them when they are tiny and as soon as they grow too big to manage, they just simply dump them in a park or a field, and then someone gets hurt or traumatized and the " pet" is killed.  I know they still sell baby alligators in some places in Florida. I just don't know why anyone would buy one. I don't think they are cute even when they are babies! 

Honored Contributor

A snake would not be my first choice for a pet, but as long as it's legal and they are tended to by responsible owners, it's their option.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, at least I don't have to worry about Petunia (8 lb. cat) killing me in my sleep.

I just hope there were no kids in that house.

Honored Contributor

Dont be too smug about those 8lb kitties being safe pets.  My sister's kitty learned how to turn off her CPAP machine.  We figure she thinks she'll inherit the house.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trailrun23 wrote:

Today I saw an article about a huge python that had escaped (or was dumped) somewhere in Florida. It was found and captured and was a female carrying 1200 eggs. People were upset that it was killed. Wish they would make it against the law to sell or own exotic pets like pythons, etc. People buy them when they are tiny and as soon as they grow too big to manage, they just simply dump them in a park or a field, and then someone gets hurt or traumatized and the " pet" is killed.  I know they still sell baby alligators in some places in Florida. I just don't know why anyone would buy one. I don't think they are cute even when they are babies! 

@Trailrun23   Indeed, smart move destroying that snake.  I believe Florida offers a bounty for certain snakes that are damaging and killing wildlife in the Everglades!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  Are CPAP machines noisy?  If so, I'm safe.  Anything that makes nose scares the pee out of Petunia. Hand held vac, regular vac, mixer etc.  She runs and hides in the closet.

Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

@Trailrun23    Those snakes are breeding and reproducing in the Everglades; the 1200 egg mama was probably born there.  Its quite a problem as they are destroying native wildlife.  They even have contests to see who can find and kill the largest specimen.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Kachina624  Are CPAP machines noisy?  If so, I'm safe.  Anything that makes nose scares the pee out of Petunia. Hand held vac, regular vac, mixer etc.  She runs and hides in the closet.

@CrazyKittyLvr2    They can't be too noisy since people use them when sleeping.  I never heard one.

Esteemed Contributor

My cousin visited with one few years ago - there was a su*king sound as the breathing and air in the tube work together.

Now I see some kind of patch you stick on shoulder - must be more electronic now.  They keep improving the equipment every time I see one one TV.

No clue how it works...........