Super Contributor

Re: Sometimes I get irritated

@elated wrote:

We are all in different financial situations. I know that 36 million people are unemployed.  It is sad to see many of our fellow Americans struggling to pay rent, buy food for their families and trying to cope everyday. I think compassion and empathy goes a long way to help. The OP is stating her angst and we need to be kind.

I don't know what is happening in her household but I do wish her well. Do something that makes you smile. Take one day at a time. I wish you the best and keep moving forward.

At this time the financial burdens many are facing are more pronounced, talked about.   However, prior to this pandemic, there were also millions of individuals dealing with financial burden.  Different circumstances.  As much as anyone can empathize with the struggles many endure, the world still turns and people are entitled to buy, business entitled to sell as always,

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is baiting.

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

Empathy is the capacity to understand or feel what another person is experiencing from within their frame of reference, that is, the capacity to place oneself in another's position.[1] Definitions of empathy encompass a broad range of emotional states. Types of empathy include cognitive empathy, emotional (or affective) empathy, and somatic empathy.

Figure it out!

@ahoymate 

So because some can't afford to shop, to show "empathy" NO ONE should be allowed to shop...is that it?????

What about empathy to keep some people employed, so those that can shop---DO---to support them!!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:
And some of us are still working. Since I’m spending more time at home, I’m noticing household items that need replacing more than usual. I’m spending less on entertainment and clothes so I don’t mind a few new purchases for my home.

I’ve had the same tired dinette set in my kitchen for years that we avoid using because it’s so uncomfortable. I replaced it with a counter height table and 4 padded stools. Now my family is more comfortable to gather to play cards in the evening.

RollTideRoll2008--

You sound like a person with common sense who spends carefully. I think QVC and other sellers are trying to appeal to people's anxiety and desire to keep their personal space all up-to-date, whether or not they can afford it.

@GoneButNotForgotten 

Virus or no virus ----People should always be responsible enough to know whether they can afford to spend or not....There's no need to save them from themselves, they should make their own financial decisions---!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I was laid off 3 times in 2 years between 2008 and 2010. I didn’t begrudge nice things for anyone in better financial circumstances than me. I can be empathetic to those who aren’t working right now, but I had an 8 day stretch a few weeks ago where I worked from 8 am til after midnight each of those days. I won’t feel guilty for buying a few treats after I get my bonus check.

You were laid off not you and much of the country. That's the difference here. Many people are without jobs now that is why some of the product selling is tone deaf. It's like some people are doing so well right now they can't see that so many are suffering greatly. 

I do know there are people suffering greatly, but does that mean the Q should stop selling?  Of course not.

No but they could change some of what they sell. Some of their programming is not appropriate for what is going on. Most people aren't buying $150 pair of shoes or purses right now. 

-----   
Shopping channels, don't just fly by the seat of their pants, with programming.  Programs are planned months in advance, so that inventory can be secured, vendors appearances arranged, and, I assume, their own staff scheduling managed. 

Let's face it, expensive is relative. $150 for a fine pair of

shoes, really isn't bad. Are folks who are struggling, going to buy them, probably not, but the nurse, who's on her feet for 10 hours a day, may be thrilled to find them! 

If I go on line to browse Nordstrom's, am I going to find, they have revamped their inventory, to make it far more affordable? Somehow I suspect not. 

If retailers fail to sell, and fail, it just keeps snowballing, and we all suffer more.  

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten   If watching QVC makes you feel resentful and causes distress, you need to watch something else or turn the TV off.  When you're on a diet, you don't sit with a box of chocolates at your elbow tempting and torturing yourself.  You hide it or give it away and try to forget about it as you know you can't have it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

If you can afford to keep shopping, by all means do it. It keeps the economy going. 

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I was laid off 3 times in 2 years between 2008 and 2010. I didn’t begrudge nice things for anyone in better financial circumstances than me. I can be empathetic to those who aren’t working right now, but I had an 8 day stretch a few weeks ago where I worked from 8 am til after midnight each of those days. I won’t feel guilty for buying a few treats after I get my bonus check.

You were laid off not you and much of the country. That's the difference here. Many people are without jobs now that is why some of the product selling is tone deaf. It's like some people are doing so well right now they can't see that so many are suffering greatly. 

I do know there are people suffering greatly, but does that mean the Q should stop selling?  Of course not.

No but they could change some of what they sell. Some of their programming is not appropriate for what is going on. Most people aren't buying $150 pair of shoes or purses right now. 

I read in here about a person who spent she said 600 on a purse !

That's just unbelievable !

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

I read in here about a person who spent she said 600 on a purse !

That's just unbelievable !

It is their choice.