Super Contributor

Re: Sometimes I get irritated

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

...and not just with QVC, but they're doing the same thing.

They are doing a "refresh and redecorate" campaign, I noticed. Do they, or any other retailers, seem to understand that there are a lot of people out there who haven't had a paycheck in weeks/months or unemployent compensation; that a lot of people are going to foodbanks to feed their children and a lot of people can't make rent/house payments? What world do these people live in, anyway?

Where to these bozos think that anyone can sink a couple of hundred--much less a few thousand--dollars into "refresh and redecorate"?

Maybe you are unaware, but not just in the U.S., but online shopping is at such an all time high, companies can't keep up. As well, people are renovating, repairing...indoors and out more than ever due to being home.  "Bozos", aka businesses are seeking to make money, keep in business, keep people employed.  Every individual's personal financial situation is their own business.  And what anyone does or does not do with their money at anytime...again their business.  
if you are so distressed by what you see on tv, simple fix for that.

Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008I'm with you!   Over the weeks I've "played" in my closets, I could see I have enough clothes for a very long time with the exception maybe of a very special occasion.  

The other thing I learned staying home so much is that the renovations I was almost ready to sign contracts for in early March really, really ought to be done.  I've even added a couple of ideas to my list of wants, so anything I would have spent on clothing will disappear quickly!

Respected Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I was laid off 3 times in 2 years between 2008 and 2010. I didn’t begrudge nice things for anyone in better financial circumstances than me. I can be empathetic to those who aren’t working right now, but I had an 8 day stretch a few weeks ago where I worked from 8 am til after midnight each of those days. I won’t feel guilty for buying a few treats after I get my bonus check.

You were laid off not you and much of the country. That's the difference here. Many people are without jobs now that is why some of the product selling is tone deaf. It's like some people are doing so well right now they can't see that so many are suffering greatly. 

I do know there are people suffering greatly, but does that mean the Q should stop selling?  Of course not.

No but they could change some of what they sell. Some of their programming is not appropriate for what is going on. Most people aren't buying $150 pair of shoes or purses right now. 

Esteemed Contributor

We are all in different financial situations. I know that 36 million people are unemployed.  It is sad to see many of our fellow Americans struggling to pay rent, buy food for their families and trying to cope everyday. I think compassion and empathy goes a long way to help. The OP is stating her angst and we need to be kind.

I don't know what is happening in her household but I do wish her well. Do something that makes you smile. Take one day at a time. I wish you the best and keep moving forward.

Honored Contributor

QVC's responsibility is to garner sales so they can stay viable.  That's it.  

My responsibility is to make sure I don't spend our money foolishly, likewise my DH.  We're retired and we're watching our retirement slowly drain downward thanks to the virus.  So, while I love purses and shoes and would love to upgrade my iPhone, I'm super cautious.

Personal responsibility is key.  QVC wants you to spend your money, why wouldn't they? 

We want to stay comfortable in retirement, why wouldn't we? 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I was laid off 3 times in 2 years between 2008 and 2010. I didn’t begrudge nice things for anyone in better financial circumstances than me. I can be empathetic to those who aren’t working right now, but I had an 8 day stretch a few weeks ago where I worked from 8 am til after midnight each of those days. I won’t feel guilty for buying a few treats after I get my bonus check.

You were laid off not you and much of the country. That's the difference here. Many people are without jobs now that is why some of the product selling is tone deaf. It's like some people are doing so well right now they can't see that so many are suffering greatly. 

I do know there are people suffering greatly, but does that mean the Q should stop selling?  Of course not.

No but they could change some of what they sell. Some of their programming is not appropriate for what is going on. Most people aren't buying $150 pair of shoes or purses right now. 

Actually, I do see your point. I thought of this the other day when they were selling (TSV) that Dyson air purifier for $400!  I remember thinking "so who's buying THAT?"

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

Jewel22, you don't have a clue. Get some empathy.

@ahoymate I like your nickname. 

Super Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

Do you not get how business works?  Companies sell what people buy.  When people stop buying said item(s), then companies start selling something else.  
Non discretionary spending is through the roof at this time.  And no company is going to stop selling what people are buying.  

Respected Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

Actually, I do see your point. I thought of this the other day when they were selling (TSV) that Dyson air purifier for $400!  I remember thinking "so who's buying THAT?"

I remember after 911 I could not buy anything. I just couldn't do it while so many people were suffering. My household circumstances have not changed but I know they could the longer this goes on. Maybe they could do free shipping which would be very beneficial for everyone. 

Respected Contributor

@BeautyLver wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

Do you not get how business works?  Companies sell what people buy.  When people stop buying said item(s), then companies start selling something else.  
Non discretionary spending is through the roof at this time.  And no company is going to stop selling what people are buying.  

Sure ok