Honored Contributor

Something you should know about NMDA and Metformin that has not been discussed here yet

[ Edited ]

The FDA’s testing of Metformin for NDMA is happening because Singapore tested 46 brands of NDMA and found three with levels that were too high. That’s not very many and the levels found were in newer to market brands. The over the limit levels are still relatively low. Due to the Singapore finding,; Canada, The U.S., and countries in the EU are also conducting testing on Metformin. The good news is that if only three samples were over the limit and that 43 samples were fine; then it is definitely possible to manufacture a Metformin without contamination from NDMA. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Something you should know about NMDA and Metformin that has not been discussed here yet

It might be better for people. if  those  who post gloom and doom reports about things like this  wait until all the facts  are in

There is no point in upsetting people who must take these type of meds ,until we know exactly what  the findings are..

Some people are really frightened easily, and I feel it is cruel to upset them needlessly

Respected Contributor

Re: Something you should know about NMDA and Metformin that has not been discussed here yet

@cherry wrote:

It might be better for people. if  those  who post gloom and doom reports about things like this  wait until all the facts  are in

There is no point in upsetting people who must take these type of meds ,until we know exactly what  the findings are..

Some people are really frightened easily, and I feel it is cruel to upset them needlessly

@cherry How right you are!  I totally agree.

Honored Contributor

There is no excuse to post things like this. Some people just relish spreading bad news..It happens frequently

Not long ago it was Zantac..It came to nothing..now it is metformin...I think it is just plaln mean to do this to people

Honored Contributor

Knowledge is power. I take 2000mg of metformin divided into 4 doses for insulin resistance (off label) Type 1 diabetes. I will closely watch if the drug manufacturer for my prescription is listed. A few months ago my cardiologist took me off Valsartan because of contamination. 

Thanks @Mindy D for posting. I need information so I can make decisions on the risks of taking some of these meds...

Honored Contributor

Here we go again.

Honored Contributor

What is your source?

For me, I don't trust findings from non-Western countries.  They may or may not be accurate.  I don't always trust findings from the FDA because there have been times they have been wrong.  

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

What is your source?

It was taken from the FDA website, and is a statement dated 12/5/19, from Janet Woodcock MD. She is the Director - Center for Drug Evaluation and Research

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@cherry  This is good news, not bad news.