Esteemed Contributor

Re: Something funny happened today

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Omg this post just made me remember the show Keeping Up Appearances! Hyacinth and her Royal Doulton with the handpainted periwinkles! So funny. 

@Grouchomarx best show ever!!

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will tell you about the place we bought it from. It was owned by a Jewish couple from Europe. Their last name was Shandfield

Mr Shandfield was a jeweler, and he worked hard for  not much money. He met his wife in Canada ,and together  they worked hard, and were very frugal. The were able to buy into a partnership with Mr Meyers. Mr Meyers died and Mr Shanfield owned the entire business

By the time we shopped there, he had 5 interconnected stores . These were old buildings in downtown Windsor. They had every inch of these stores loaded with china from the basement to the attic. They had shelves that went from floor to celling filled with every brand and pattern you could think of

They kept bringing out  many pieces of my pattern to let me pick the ones I liked. They all looked good to me, but ,the saleslady told me what to look for, when I picked out each piece of china

They also sold crystal and silver. Mr Shanfield had deliveries  2 times a year from England. This was back in the 1970's. He paid about 1/2 a million dollars  (Canadian)for each boatload of china, and it was cash on the barrel head

They were a remarkable couple, but very unassuming. Mrs Shanfield chased Mr Cherry down ,as he left to feed the parking meter. She told him if he got a ticket ,she would pay for it. We also got all of the tax we spent refunded to us. They sent us a check by mail

You would never ever thought these two people had a penny to their name. They dressed very humbly, and lived the same way. A girl rode with us to customs with paperwork and told us a bit about them

They were good people , hard  working and  savers. I have never seen a store like this one, before or since. People came there from all over Canada ,and the USA ,to buy their  china, crystal and silver from them.

Honored Contributor

This will  give you an idea of their inventory. It was unreal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjq0WZVTdeE

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Omg this post just made me remember the show Keeping Up Appearances! Hyacinth and her Royal Doulton with the handpainted periwinkles! So funny. 

@Grouchomarx best show ever!!

Truly it is the best! So funny. I haven’t seen it in ages. Glad I found someone else who likes it! Another fave, As Time Goes By. But I’m getting way off topic!

Esteemed Contributor

My bridesmaid dresses was the dress Molly Ringwald wore in Sixteen Candles.

I saw it in the movie years later.  My wedding was rainbow 34 years ago tomorrow 7/6

Valued Contributor

What a neat story @cherry ! The store looks amazing  - I would have loved to have gone there when they were closing. I could have easily spent some money there!

Honored Contributor

@cimeranrose  you would have loved it. The store was 100,000 square feet ,and it was groaning. and choc- a -block with goodies. It was almost so much to look at, you didn't know where to start

Valued Contributor

Just for fun I thought I'd post a picture of my china @cherry . It's Noritake Rothchild. My mother loved pretty dishes and so do I.

China.jpg

Honored Contributor

@cimeranrose  lovely just the colors of my china too