Honored Contributor

Re: Something exquisite to start the week off right...

@Witchy Woman

When I am out & about at my complex I always spray Deet on myself.  If I go into the woods, I always wear long pants & socks.  I spray my clothes w/permethrin.

I try my best not to go near the deer or their babies.  Lyme disease is too prevalent in my neck of the woods and those ticks are looooong jumpers if need be.  In the 5 yrs I've lived here, 2 neighbors have come down w/LD.

Deer population is very high.  More of them than us.  Can't wait for hunting season.  I gotta taste for venison. Smiley Tongue

From my "why deer sit out in the rain" research.....

"The main reason in my experience is that during the rain deer move from the woods to fields in order to stay safe. With the rain leaves don't crunch, sounds are muffled due to the rain falling, and the closeness of the woods means it's harder to spot danger.

On the field during the rain these issues are nulled."

Above from:  Field & Stream website.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac  @Witchy Woman

Perhaps it is their equivalent of 'girls night out, no men allowed, Moonlight beauty ritual', wouldn't that be a HOOT if true?

We live 'way out' and I've seen it a few times.

Always wish I could join them!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I love how momma deer take such good care of their fawns.  One mom slept in our back yard after hiding her newborn in our front yard.  She moved it from under one bush to another but stayed a short distance away to not draw attention to the babe.  I think she had birthed it in the front yard and was recovering with a deserved nap.

Years ago while camping I crossed a fast moving stream and nearly walked into a drowned fawn who didn't have the strength to fight the water's power.  Heartbreaking.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@feline groovy

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful story.

Happy endings for animals bring much joy to my heart.

Same, @Drythe.  8)

Esteemed Contributor

I love it,so beautiful.  Thank you. Takes your mind off all the junk of everyday life,doesn't it...just for a minute.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Just beautiful

I live near a state park with a road that runs through it. A few years ago I was out for my walk on the road and I saw a tiny fawn that had passed away. Right on the side of the road. It just upset me so much. 

I called the ranger's office and the woman said they would come and get the fawn. He/she looked so peaceful, was not bloodied or anything awful. I still think of that fawn every time I walk by that spot.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"