Respected Contributor

Re: Something different I haven't seen in an obituary

I've never seen that before - not that I'm an avid reader of obits.  

Respected Contributor

It would suggest to me she had given the child up for adoption and must have reconnected before she died.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

I don't read obits unless someone I know has passed away so I wouldn't know what is common or not. It seems a positive thing too me. For whatever reason, the person had more than one mother in her life.

Based on her age, I'd suspect she had been given up at birth or as a young child.

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

I was serious, it really said that....wasn't trying to be funny

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@hyacinth003

Wow, we can tell where my mind is, I read Bird mother to Jane Smith.

Got me thinking of adding Bird mother to Poppi, Grayson and Presto to my own obituary.

Then I went back and re-read the post, duh.

I think your idea of "bird mother" is an excellent one!  🐣

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

This (girlfriend/wife) was printed in one of our two local papers. The quality and quantity of newspaper reporters has slipped a good deal around here, a stone's throw from NYC, due at least in part to the increasing use of technology and the increasing tendency for "Junk in, junk out".

The paper named is slightly more urban than its slightly more local counterpart, and it appears that the funeral parlor was blamed.

We read many comments that express various, sometimes faintly humorous comments about the dear departed.

Some arise from those problematic machinations of pronouns and adverbs. It used to be that obituaries were submitted to a proof reader before printing, but the assumption is now that if SpellChek and GrammerChek don't getcha, what you've written MUST be OK.

Not always.

Esteemed Contributor

@violann wrote:

This (girlfriend/wife) was printed in one of our two local papers. The quality and quantity of newspaper reporters has slipped a good deal around here, a stone's throw from NYC, due at least in part to the increasing use of technology and the increasing tendency for "Junk in, junk out".

The paper named is slightly more urban than its slightly more local counterpart, and it appears that the funeral parlor was blamed.

We read many comments that express various, sometimes faintly humorous comments about the dear departed.

Some arise from those problematic machinations of pronouns and adverbs. It used to be that obituaries were submitted to a proof reader before printing, but the assumption is now that if SpellChek and GrammerChek don't getcha, what you've written MUST be OK.

Not always.

Sometimes I cringe...

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know about this one. I sent an obituary to my sil to put in the local paper there since I thought people would know my dh more. She called back and said the paper wanted to know the mortuarys address etc. since it was out of town. I never did see it for I didn't tell her to send it to me.