Honored Contributor

Re: Something You Don't Hear About Anymore

@NoelSeven wrote:

I miss the old thermometers.  When we broke one as kids, we used to push the mercury balls around.  Big no no. 

I remember playing with mercury in school . . . how on earth did we all live to see these days? . . . concrete playgrounds, no helmets or knee/elbow pads . . . tee hee!

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

I miss the old thermometers.  When we broke one as kids, we used to push the mercury balls around.  Big no no. 

I remember playing with mercury in school . . . how on earth did we all live to see these days? . . . concrete playgrounds, no helmets or knee/elbow pads . . . tee hee!

Little dresses meant skinned knees.  I was a tomboy, climbing trees, playing in creeks, shooting hoops... I always had skinned knees.  I used to wonder if I would EVER see what my knees looked like without scabby scrapes covering them.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Burnsite wrote:

Noel, There's a geat "Our Gang" comedy where the child-actors are all in an orphanage and they are served "mush."  I saw this on Sat AM TV and asked my mother what mush was, and she said "oatmeal" or "cream of wheat." 

I miss the smell of fresh mimeographed assignments when I was in grade school.

That's what I thought it was, too.   I grew up in CA, FWIW.  Smiley Happy   Maybe it's a regional thing (?).

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

How about cod liver oil?  Just typing that term gives me the shivers.  

I take cod liver oil every day.  The liquid, not the capsules.

It is good for the skin and the immune system.

Esteemed Contributor

I wash my dog's paws with epson salts...got the lilac scented - it's divine!!!

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Burnsite wrote:

Noel, There's a geat "Our Gang" comedy where the child-actors are all in an orphanage and they are served "mush."  I saw this on Sat AM TV and asked my mother what mush was, and she said "oatmeal" or "cream of wheat." 

I miss the smell of fresh mimeographed assignments when I was in grade school.

That's what I thought it was, too.   I grew up in CA, FWIW.  Smiley Happy   Maybe it's a regional thing (?).

Must be because I remember mush as soft and white.  Now I don't know what it was that I ate.

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

Deep--It was purple in color and I think I may have thought it smelled concord-grapey.

I also loved the smell of paste.  I stopped sampling it after first grade, though.

Mothertrucker--I think my form of crack was probably "Sugar Babies," that intensely sugary candy, which now seems horrifying to me but I used to love.  Even the name is pretty awful.

Oo oh Sugar Babies! And sugar Daddy! As I recall, there was. Sugar Mama

at one time,too? Loved a good Black Cow..it was like a Sugar  Daddy...

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@dex wrote:

my Grandfather had some medicine in a dark bottle that he used for arthritis pain but I can't remeber the name.I do remember that my mom said he liked it because it was mostly alcohol.

Could you be thinking about Heet liniment? 

Heet

Marp , sounds like it was something he imbibed..not applied!...lol!

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

What did I miss?  How would Epsom salt help her sore mouth?  I remember the word much from way back when I was a kid.  I think "mush" was mashed up food.  Like would would mash carrots and potatoes into a mush for babies. 

It wouldn't.  Thinking of mush made me think of things I didn't hear about anymore, and Epsom Salts came to mind.

I looked up mush and the official mush was made from cornmeal.  It has come to be a generic term as in, "It turned to mush."

I always thought mush was oatmeal.  Live and learn!

Me too.  At least mush is what my mother called oatmeal.