Honored Contributor

Re: Something You Don't Hear About Anymore

@Burnsite wrote:

Noel, There's a geat "Our Gang" comedy where the child-actors are all in an orphanage and they are served "mush."  I saw this on Sat AM TV and asked my mother what mush was, and she said "oatmeal" or "cream of wheat." 

I miss the smell of fresh mimeographed assignments when I was in grade school.

I'd forgotten about cream of wheat Smiley Happy

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

Noel, There's a geat "Our Gang" comedy where the child-actors are all in an orphanage and they are served "mush."  I saw this on Sat AM TV and asked my mother what mush was, and she said "oatmeal" or "cream of wheat." 

Hi Burnsite, I do also.  I wonder what was in that ink that appealed to our sense of smell?

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

Was there a white mush?  I remember something white and mushy in a bowl.

Probably because there is white corn meal and that the stuff from which mush was made.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@Burnsite wrote:

Hi Burnsite, I do also.  I wonder what was in that ink that appealed to our sense of smell?

Crack...

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

Was there a white mush?  I remember something white and mushy in a bowl.

Probably because there is white corn meal and that the stuff from which mush was made.

Thanks!

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp, I use them in my garden as well but never made the slug connection so thank you!  LM

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Deep--It was purple in color and I think I may have thought it smelled concord-grapey.

I also loved the smell of paste.  I stopped sampling it after first grade, though.

Mothertrucker--I think my form of crack was probably "Sugar Babies," that intensely sugary candy, which now seems horrifying to me but I used to love.  Even the name is pretty awful.

Honored Contributor

I have found that if i get sick,cold,flu,GOD FORBID,a hot bath soak in epsom salts helps,

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

my Grandfather had some medicine in a dark bottle that he used for arthritis pain but I can't remeber the name.I do remember that my mom said he liked it because it was mostly alcohol.

Could you be thinking about Heet liniment? 

Heet
The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

My grandparents were from Italy and what some call mush was always called polenta.  It was made and served in the morning with syrup and sausage or with milk.  After that it was formed into  loaves and cut with twine.  It could be fried, cooked with meat with gravy, put spaghetti sauce on it (delicious) or fried with butter and fresh fruit like peaches for a sweet treat.  It is inexpensive to make and so versital.  I still enjoy it now.