Esteemed Contributor

Re: Something You Don't Hear About Anymore

Does anyone remember Mustard Plaster?  When I had a cold or cough, my  mother would put one on my chest. It was like a pad of some kind and she moistened it and placed it right on my chest. It supposedly helped the symptoms. I don't remember if it did or not. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Super Contributor

Remember when different items like dish towels came in your box of powder laundry detergent?

I also wore petticoats grandma made for me out of feed sacks all through grade school. I grew up on a farm and there wasn't much money. My people grew all our own food and raised all the meat on the table. Such sweet memories ... I wouldn't trade for anything!

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Honored Contributor

Epsom salts are still recommended by Doctors to soak in.  Kaiser told my granddaughter to soak her ingrown toe nail 3X  in epso.m salts.  Nothing like it

I think when I was a baby (I am 68) they were still putting Cod Liver Oil in the formula.YUCK!!!  I worked in a museum.  In reading the newspapers going back to 1890"s (before that they didn't always have illustrated ads) they used Cod liver oil for everything!  The Victorian were consumed with bowel elimination.  Irregularity was blamed for mental illness, nervousness, dropsy, piles, "ennui",women's maladies,  acne, and the likes!!  Every potion, or elixer contained cod liver oil, mineral oil, and alcohol, sometimes morphine.  Good grief.

We had mush everyday just about.  I think our mush was Wheat Hearts, Cream O Rice and Cream O Barley.

I lived on Cream O Rice in college, it was 19 cents a box, and I had no money.  Can't eat it today.  Just can't

Honored Contributor

@RedTop

they sell scrapple, souse, lebanon bologna, and head cheese in many of our store delis around town. i only eat scrapple if it is a very small piece that is fried extra crispy and topped on a deviled egg.

cant imagine anyone eating this anymore, but my mom always talks about fatback sandwiches, lard sandwiches, and mustard and onion sandwiches.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

@Tabbycat wrote:

Remember when different items like dish towels came in your box of powder laundry detergent?

I also wore petticoats grandma made for me out of feed sacks all through grade school. I grew up on a farm and there wasn't much money. My people grew all our own food and raised all the meat on the table. Such sweet memories ... I wouldn't trade for anything!

Yes!  Dolly Parton used to do the commercials for Breeze.  "They're a real treat, but ya cain't buy 'em."

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

DRIVE IN THEATERS!!!!

We still have a Drive In here. It's right up the street from me. Open 8-9 months a year.

Depending on weather and other factors, we are planning on staying open until Hunger Games which is November 20th, our last weekend of the season would be December 4th!

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines