Honored Contributor

Re: Something I heard a teacher say on TV

@Noel7@sfnative

and this is what I was expected to do, I suppose:

51ABA960-6E40-4C8E-BEF4-BACAAC6ECBD5.png

Stand up up and tell them what to write! (Which they did not remember the next day.

Texas is in trouble over SPED implementation right now.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

wrote:

She said it is her job to recognize a child's potential then to mold and shape them to become what she wants them to be. HUH? isn't it her job to EDUCATE them - and the family - specfically their parents - job to mold & shape?

Yikes!!!....  yes, her job is to recgnize potential and then to EDUCATE them factually, hopefully even beyond that potential.  It's not the teacher's job to mold them to become what she wants them to be!!!  Nor is it her job to teach HER personal opinions, only the facts pertaining to what is being taught. 

This makes me very frustrated because that line is being crossed all the time anymore.  I honestly don't think some of these teachers even understand the difference between their own personal opinions regarding a subject,  and the unvarnished facts.  My first exposure to this was from my first po litical science teacher who decided his opinions regarding the subjects in his class were facts....  potentially very damaging.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

@sfnative@Noel7

May I please tell from my POV only?

A principal once classified teachers’ roles as”in loco parentis.” So, when the students were at school, and not at Home 🏡, they were under my watch (and this means my responsibility, too, and that means to protect them as if they were my own child.

i taught SPECIAL EDUCATION students, and our roles changed quite a bit during that time.

Sorry this is long but it explains some things that are near and dear to my heart.

With these students, I often had to give “guidance” as to how to behave. (Well, with any teens, such as throwing food on floors in the hallways and why we don’t do that.)

Then there are things like listening when others talk and doing one’s homework. In my classes it was understood that I was not to assign homework or if I did, it was to be extra credit.

i also had a list of contact students... I was to become familiar with the students’ disabilities and contact their homes when necessary. 

I did did not know any other SPED teacher who carried their responsibilities into extreme places such as re;igion or politics. However, I did know of some gen. Ed. Teachers who did because my students told me about it.

Hi @LTT1  Smiley Happy

Two points:

1)  Going on this opening comment. "She said it is her job to recognize a child's potential then to mold and shape them to become what she wants them to be. HUH?"  It sounds like what used to happen when I was in school and took those routine tests that told you what job you were most suited for.  Remember those?  Girls never came out as doctors, but as nurses.  That's what I thought she meant about molding the child to become what the teacher wants.

2)  I do understand molding behavior, it's basic in Behavior Therapy, but more about learning or agreed upon changing a behavior.  I totally understand the necessity of that with special ed students, I worked with a few myself.  I'm with you all the way here Smiley Happy  ps Successive Approximation, my specialty Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

She said it is her job to recognize a child's potential then to mold and shape them to become what she wants them to be. HUH? isn't it her job to EDUCATE them - and the family - specfically their parents - job to mold & shape?

Nowadays, there is little time to "EDUCATE" children in the classroom . As others have said, too many parents have little time to pay attention to their own children, leaving parental responsibilities to the teacher.

Ifr there is "no time to educate children in the classroom" then why are the children there?

When you quote someone's words, make sure you are using their exact words and not inserting your own.

I think the answer to your question is pretty obvious and needs no explanation.

Honored Contributor

That old geezer didn't do me or anyone else any favors . He was universally loathed, for the nasty tyrant that he was. I have never heard anyone have a nice word to say about him, even other teachers  didn't seem to have anything to do with him

I was so happy to get rid of that ogre, and after I won, a few others bailed out as well.  He wasn't a good teacher ,or a nice person, he was just a jumped up little toady, using his petty authority ,to make  everyone's life a misery.....There were other math classes available, and you had to have enough credits in math to graduate, which I did. Math is like a ladder you must be secure on one rung, before you can advance to the next.

He was such an awful teacher, his entire class flunked his final exam, so he had to grade on class curve

Honored Contributor

@Noel7

As we are all agreeing, this person’s wording “to mold them into what I wanted them to become, was very WRONG. 

She needs to re-state.

One thing that was very taxing for me in teaching to the needs of my students: taking the time to state CAREFULLY.

I had students some of which were different nationalities. I felt i had to be so very careful.

There was one time the student tried to refuse to stand for the “Pledge of Allegiance.” WOW

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

I think she meant quality human beings. That's everybody's job. "It takes a village."

Honored Contributor

@LTT1

I've been meaning to tell you, totally off subject... every time I see your heart icon, I see it as a See's candy dark chocolate cherry with the somewhat white goo around it Woman LOL

My daughter is picking up an order I made for a few for her father at Valentine's Day.  That dark chocolate cherry is his favorite.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@Noel7
YUM!
Nice present!
Honored Contributor

wrote:

When I was in high school they actually did this. They would decide who should have a college prep course, and who should have a business course  etc

It was such a mess they did away with it.  It was also unfair  for the students to have a teacher meddle in their personal  descisions.  They didn't guide us, they pushed us

@cherry

You are SO right about this!  I was one of the ones “on the college track” as they said. But my wonderful Papa wanted me to take typing (pre everyone having a personal computer) because he knew I’d be writing lots of papers and surely could not afford to pay someone to type them for me.  For HS graduation He gave me a little blue, portable typewriter which I still have.

The teachers had a fit, the kids in the typing class, many of whom were my friends, had a bet going that I wouldn’t be able to pass - too brainy,

not enough common sense.  The whole thing was 😜 silly.

Thank goodness things have changed.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras