Honored Contributor

Re: Something I heard a teacher say on TV

wrote:

She said it is her job to recognize a child's potential then to mold and shape them to become what she wants them to be. HUH? isn't it her job to EDUCATE them - and the family - specfically their parents - job to mold & shape?

Putting aside that this is rank hearsay, I agree with this teacher. It all boils down to what she means with her "what she wants them to be," again, if that is verbatim.

A good teacher wants her students live up to their potential. That's what I infer from her phrasing. And god love her for that.

I see absolutely no nefarious implication and think that those who do are reacting to their own fears and biases in which government plays some evil role.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like to think that all the experiences, good and bad, in my life so far have helped to "mold and shape" me into the person I am today.  I would be interested to know if the teacher who voiced the viewpoint on tv was employed by a  public or private school.  One of my former co-workers stated that her children attended a private school because she wanted the teachers to impart the beliefs of the organization.  

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I was in a college prep course. I got pushed into Algebra, even though I hated math

The old goat that taught ,it told me I couldn't switch.  I had no rights to pursue anything that interested me, and I felt I could do reasonably well

I was finally able to switch to a math class that was more in tune with my abilities, because I fought the system  I have never needed to use Algebra one single time in my life, and I am 71.

wrote:

I was in a college prep course. I got pushed into Algebra, even though I hated math

The old goat that taught ,it told me I couldn't switch.  I had no rights to pursue anything that interested me, and I felt I could do reasonably well

I was finally able to switch to a math class that was more in tune with my abilities, because I fought the system  I have never needed to use Algebra one single time in my life, and I am 71.

wrote:

I'm not sure you can get any kind of college degree now without Algebra and beyond in math. 

I know kids on a college course for after high school these days should be taking at least up through Algebra two and Trig while still in high school, and biology, chemistry and physics as far as science. Even a lot of two year degrees programs are looking for as much advanced math and science as possible while in high school. If you don't do it there, you will be paying to get caught up to the necessary level once in college.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Teachers are expected to babysit, counsel, nurture, correct, and teach these days.  Too many kids don't have parents who parent.  They are more interested in being friends than parent.  The teacher is likely saying parents need to step up rather than leave the molding of character to her.   

This is a huge issue for teachers.  How do they teach when they have to be everything to students?  

Are kids going to learn when they just got screamed at or hit?  Will kids learn when they know they'll go home to drug addled parent/s?   Will kids learn when they are hungry?  Will kids learn when they worry about where their next shelter will be?  Will kids learn when they know their clothes are dirty or they want a shower?  Will kids learn when they are craving a parent's love and attention?   

This is true in so many areas, and it really speaks volumes to just what a sad state this country is in. 

What you described used to be the smallest minority of students in most districts, but I'm sorry to say, that just isn't the case anymore. 

More and more students are falling under the above described conditions every year. 

It needs fixed, but I think it has to be done community by community. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

She said it is her job to recognize a child's potential then to mold and shape them to become what she wants them to be. HUH? isn't it her job to EDUCATE them - and the family - specfically their parents - job to mold & shape?

Putting aside that this is rank hearsay, I agree with this teacher. It all boils down to what she means with her "what she wants them to be," again, if that is verbatim.

A good teacher wants her students live up to their potential. That's what I infer from her phrasing. And god love her for that.

I see absolutely no nefarious implication and think that those who do are reacting to their own fears and biases in which government plays some evil role.

I am going to respond to the initial teacher's comment as though it is accurate and real (which it may or may not be)

But if taken at face value, mold and shape don't bother me.

"to be what she wants them to be" does bother me.

And it isn't fear about the government's 'evil' role in education, it is the actual practice and  continually dismal results of excessive federal government interference in education that speak volumes.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I am going to respond to the initial teacher's comment as though it is accurate and real (which it may or may not be)

But if taken at face value, mold and shape don't bother me.

"to be what she wants them to be" does bother me.

And it isn't fear about the government's 'evil' role in education, it is the actual practice and  continually dismal results of excessive federal government interference in education that speak volumes.

@OKAY, I'll take it verbatim if I must --for discussion's sake.

I just don't infer from her "to be what she them to be" in the way that you do. I infer that as a teacher, she wants them to develop and learn (as she did), to be successful in a career that hopefully they enjoy (as I hope she does.

I don't know the solution to our education problems, but I have no more faith in local responses than I do in federal respnses. In fact, some local school boards scare the ...out of me.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Maybe you heard her wrong, I hope so.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative@Noel7

May I please tell from my POV only?

A principal once classified teachers’ roles as”in loco parentis.”

So, when the students were at school, and not at Home 🏡, they were under my watch (and this means my responsibility, too) and that means to protect them, etc, as if they were my own child.

I taught SPECIAL EDUCATION students, and my teacher  roles changed quite a bit during that time.

Sorry this is long but it explains some things that are near and dear to my heart.

With these students, I often had to give “guidance” as to how to behave. (Well, with any teens, such as throwing food on floors in the hallways and why we don’t do that.)

Then there are things like listening when others talk and doing one’s homework. [In my classes it was understood that I was not to assign homework or if I did, it was to be extra credit. But I was required to be familiar with all of their other classes, too.]

i also had a list of contact students...

‘This meant I was to become familiar with the students’ disabilities and contact their homes when necessary. 

I did did not know of any other SPED teacher in my school who carried their responsibilities into extreme places such as religion or politics.

However, I did know of some Gen. Ed. Teachers who did talk about which religion they SHOULD belong to because my students told me about it!❤️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7@sfnative

So, if you read my long-winded previous post, LOL,

you will see where I am coming from!

And next, what happened? They mandated an annual assessment test in which my students (5th grade math ability at the highest) would take an annual test to determine competency in Algebra and Geometry concepts! WHOA!

So, no longer was I allowed to explain math concepts they direly needed for life (counting/making change).

Instead, I was to have them do algebra...ie: 

98D80994-4DB1-4568-8415-8B40663047C0.jpeg

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

wrote:

Absolutely, I can remember each teacher who pushed me to reach my potential and the ones who were just there to collect.  I thank the ones who helped me excel.