Honored Contributor

Something I heard a teacher say on TV

She said it is her job to recognize a child's potential then to mold and shape them to become what she wants them to be. HUH? isn't it her job to EDUCATE them - and the family - specfically their parents - job to mold & shape?

Honored Contributor

Re: Something I heard a teacher say on TV

she might care more

Honored Contributor

I think it's a teacher's job to recognize a child's strengths, and to encourage them in the areas where they can really shine 

Sometimes parents want to mold and shape their children in ways that aren't right for them. We see this often with sports.   Maybe the dad is an ex jock, and wants his child to love baseball (insert other sport here). 

So no....I haven't always seen that parents do the best job at this.  

Honored Contributor

When I taught there were very few parents in the picture. 😕

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is going off topic.

Valued Contributor

More and more parents are handing over their duties to teachers, pre-school or nannies, scout leaders and coaches. They have become a childs best friend with a bank account instead of parents. So many think that once they get their child out of diapers, teaching is up to teachers. Manners, respect,responsibility, etc. isn't taught at home by parents anymore. The ones that do teach their children, more power to them, I wish there were more that did. 

Respected Contributor

I'd be interested in seeing/hearing the teacher's actual words before I judge her intentions.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

Should those be her actual words, it just shows that, like all professions, not everyone is working in a field they should be in.

I know a lot of teachers, and many really aren't what I'd want my child to have to spend a year with. That said, he had some great teachers over the years that I owe a huge debt to. 

It's like everything else when parenting, be aware, pay attention and stay involved so you know when this is what your child is faced with daily.

Honored Contributor

That sounds like the perfect description of Miss Jean Brodie - and we know what a mess that was.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

When I was in high school they actually did this. They would decide who should have a college prep course, and who should have a business course  etc

It was such a mess they did away with it.  It was also unfair  for the students to have a teacher meddle in their personal  descisions.  They didn't guide us, they pushed us