Trusted Contributor

Re: Something I heard a teacher say on TV

wrote:

wrote:

When I was in high school they actually did this. They would decide who should have a college prep course, and who should have a business course  etc

It was such a mess they did away with it.  It was also unfair  for the students to have a teacher meddle in their personal  descisions.  They didn't guide us, they pushed us

@cherry

You are SO right about this!  I was one of the ones “on the college track” as they said. But my wonderful Papa wanted me to take typing (pre everyone having a personal computer) because he knew I’d be writing lots of papers and surely could not afford to pay someone to type them for me.  For HS graduation He gave me a little blue, portable typewriter which I still have.

The teachers had a fit, the kids in the typing class, many of whom were my friends, had a bet going that I wouldn’t be able to pass - too brainy,

not enough common sense.  The whole thing was 😜 silly.

Thank goodness things have changed.

I was in this situation too - in my case I was a scholarship student who had to keep up a grade point average to be able to afford my luxe school - make no mistake, I'm not talking about those classy protestant schools in New England.  This was just a catholic high school.  It had two school uniforms you had to pay for, which indicates there was some disposable income floating around.

I had troubles with Spanish.  So I dropped down a couple of tracks (there were five academic tracks, this was common for all schools).  During my four years of high school, I fell below my scholarship level for only one semester.  Thank goodness for the tracks Smiley Happy

I took some business courses.  Nobody though I was too smart for them.  I actually thought I was too smart for the "Reading Shakespeare" course, but that's another story.  

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Noel7

As we are all agreeing, this person’s wording “to mold them into what I wanted them to become, was very WRONG. 

She needs to re-state.

One thing that was very taxing for me in teaching to the needs of my students: taking the time to state CAREFULLY.

I had students some of which were different nationalities. I felt i had to be so very careful.

There was one time the student tried to refuse to stand for the “Pledge of Allegiance.” WOW

@LTT1, I am not one who is agreement.

First, I would really prefer to comment on an exact quote from the teacher herself rather than some memory of a statement.

Second, even if it's verbatim, I think it's acting like a Rorschach test here. I see it as meaning something rather noble, whereas most here seen to put a very negative slant on it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Perhaps she simply means to shape her students into kind, courteous, productive citizens based on her state's educational objectives and modeling kindness and good manners.  I think this is (minimally) the objective of every teacher. 

Super Contributor

One other thing...it is not her job to educate parents on parenting skills.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

Perhaps she simply means to shape her students into kind, courteous, productive citizens based on her state's educational objectives and modeling kindness and good manners.  I think this is (minimally) the objective of every teacher. 

Exactly. That's pretty much everyone's goal with a child. It starts in the home, but must be reinforced elsewhere as well. As a teacher myself, my proudest moments were when a student returned after many years and he or she was a happy, well adjusted, productive member of society with a noticeable trait of human decency. It's doubly gratifying when they would say, yeah, I screwed up, but I finally figured it out and set some goals for success.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is going off topic.

Honored Contributor

What program was this anyway?  It hardly sounds as sinister as the op has made it out to be. 

Honored Contributor

this was not said on t.v..

a "teacher" professor at southern new hampshire university (i believe on line class). was fired because she and a student got into a dispute.

seem the this "teacher" asked a question on a test about Austraila. The student wrote her/his answer down. Student said Austraila was a country. The teacher flunked the student on the test and advised the student that  Austraila was NOT a country but just a continent. this sparked an investigation into the teacher qualifications.

outcome, Austriala is both a country and a continent, student was regraded on test.

that was the end of the story. 

Valued Contributor

wrote:

She said it is her job to recognize a child's potential then to mold and shape them to become what she wants them to be. HUH? isn't it her job to EDUCATE them - and the family - specfically their parents - job to mold & shape?

That's very disturbing.  I totally agree that it is her job to educate them.  Certainly, if a child is being abused or neglected, the teacher has an obligation to notify the authorities, but thinking about what she wants a child to be is weird.  That's up to the parents and the kid.  Teachers have a lot of influence, which is good, but they do have a more narrow role to play than that particular teacher seems to think.

Respected Contributor

@SharkEI always thought parents leave everythig up to the teachers. And don't try to contribute very little to encourage their kids. I did and that way I was hands on to know what the kids learned that day. No critizism just something to think about !1