Respected Contributor

Re: Something I heard a teacher say on TV

Teachers should be able to spot potential. And like it or not, they do have influence on children.  

"Back in the day..."

There were things we were taught at home and other things were left to the teacher. Our home values and school values were pretty close. 

That's not to say that Teacher was always right. My mom was right there at the school if she didn't think we were being treated fairly. That didn't happen often. For the most part, I had excellent teachers who really cared about their students. There were a few duds in there, but overall, I think they did a good job.

A lot of people go into teaching, because they because they think it's going to be easy. Ha! They don't often encourage the best and brightest to be teachers anymore. Anyway, there are a lot of teachers who don't really care to if they spot potential or mold. They just don't want disciplinary problems. Some of my friends were teachers--working and retired. It's a tough job.

Super Contributor

A teacher should not only educate students but should instill a love of learning.  By doing so, the teacher gives the student  tools to achieve their goals.  The only limit of a child, is that of the one teaching.  Sometimes the student needs a cheerleader, but the teacher should never mold the student.  Guide the student, open up their world, show them options but not shape them to become what the teacher thinks they should be.  Lead them towards knowledge so they can make up their own mind. 

I believe there is always more to learn, no matter what our age.  

Trusted Contributor

I graduated 46 years ago with an elementary education degree.

We were told we were facilitators.  That term has stuck with me to this day.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

When I was in high school they actually did this. They would decide who should have a college prep course, and who should have a business course  etc

It was such a mess they did away with it.  It was also unfair  for the students to have a teacher meddle in their personal  descisions.  They didn't guide us, they pushed us

@cherry - my brother-in-law is a retired high school teacher and every year the seniors would get called into the guidance office to discuss plans for after graduation.

There was one kid that they kept pushing college on and he finally went to my b-i-l and asked him if he would step in.  His father owned a plumbing business, he wanted to go to trade school but the guidance counselor wouldn't take no for an answer when it came to college.

Honored Contributor

Makes me think of the numerous times that I've seen shows where people come on and talk about teachers who guided them and influenced them at an early age. They thank the teachers and some even meet up with them later in life.  

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

She said it is her job to recognize a child's potential then to mold and shape them to become what she wants them to be. HUH? isn't it her job to EDUCATE them - and the family - specfically their parents - job to mold & shape?

I didn't hear the interview, so I'm not sure in what context this was said. I've been a teacher for nearly 45 years and yes, a teacher must recognize all the strengths, gifts and potential her students have and then put them on a path where they can use those things to be successful.  When I hear "mold and shape", I take it as helping a student achieve academic success, but also teaching that student how to be a good, productive member of society.  I've taught elementary and secondary students and now teach on the college level.  I do try to mold and shape all my students to be the very best they can be.   

Respected Contributor

I taught for nearly three decades. Trust me, there are way too many parents who do not care. Teachers are valuable.

Valued Contributor

@cherry Before I started my Freshman year I had to meet with a guidance officer. He asked me a few questions about my family, left for a couple minutes, came back and tols me I was enrolling in Home Ec. I tried to tell him I wanted to go to college, so I needed College Prep. He insisted on home ec. Finally I asked why. His reason was because my sisters had taken home ec. That was his only reason. I tried to tell him that they had wanted to get married and have kids, I wanted to get a career. No matter, I was in home ec. I couldn't get the credits I needed to get into the school I had planned on going to. That changed my future completely. That wasn't guidance, that was control.

Honored Contributor

Saying to mold and shape is a common term meaning that once the teacher sees a child's potential then she can then guide them in the direction most beneficial to a successful life.  I know I had no clue about anything in school and no one actually cared enough to help me find direction.  My parents were clueless also.  That is the process of educating them!!!  Like some have stated the negative connotation of mold and shape often is what parents want to do by forcing their children to do what they the parents didn't achieve and not caring about the child's interests and goals. 

Honored Contributor

I was in a college prep course. I got pushed into Algebra, even though I hated math

The old goat that taught ,it told me I couldn't switch.  I had no rights to pursue anything that interested me, and I felt I could do reasonably well

I was finally able to switch to a math class that was more in tune with my abilities, because I fought the system  I have never needed to use Algebra one single time in my life, and I am 71.