Esteemed Contributor

Re: Some words and meanings in songs

[ Edited ]

I knew about the toke relating to pot.

When I was young, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was thought to be a drug song. But of course it came out later that it was because Johns son drew a picture that looked like the songs name.

I'm sure there are many songs that I still am not sure exactly what they meant but I tried to look them up over the years to find out. But the meanings don't matter, what they mean to the listener is all that's important IMO.

Now I have teen granddaughters that tell me what some of the songs now mean, and lets just say sometimes I regret that I ask when I find out. lol..They also deciphered many sayings and words kids say now days. And I have already been giggled at for saying some in which the meanings have changed for those words over the years! (not swear words, I don't swear but just regular words that now have new meanings!).

Lastly the other year they told me what ratchet means. Well I went to the garage and got a ratchet out and said THIS is a ratchet. They laughed.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember when Frankie Goes To Hollywood's "Relax"

came out, everyone was wearing a tshirt w/ that saying,

even little kids.  Guess parents didn't have the internet back then,

so when their little kids wanted to buy this cool shirt at Spencer's,

they said 'sure!'.

Er, um....might wanna Google the meaning.....

image.jpeg

Respected Contributor

My son's friend sang this line to Walking in a Winter Wonderland:

"Later on we'll perspire as we dream by the fire"

Well, it can get warm by a fire!

Trusted Contributor

I think "Puff the Magic Dragon" was about drugs also!!  I never knew that at the time...cute song!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@alicedee - Many have misunderstood the words for Revved up like Deuce. Can't type it here or I will get banned from the boards. Maybe you know what I mean ?

Respected Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:
@alicedee - Many have understood the words for Revved up like Deuce. Can't type it here or I will get banned from the boards. Maybe you know what I mean ?

I think so PhilaLady1....!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Newgate wrote:

I think "Puff the Magic Dragon" was about drugs also!!  I never knew that at the time...cute song!!

@Newgate Urban legend.  Lipton composed the poem based on a writing by Ogden Nash.  Both Lipton and Yarrow (and later Peter, Paul, and Mary) have all said that the song was nothing more than a tale of childhood and growing up.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@PhilaLady1 wrote:
@alicedee - Many have understood the words for Revved up like Deuce. Can't type it here or I will get banned from the boards. Maybe you know what I mean ?

I think so PhilaLady1....!!!!!

@alicedee @PhilaLady1  Bruce Springsteen actually wrote that song and the line went "cut loose like a deuce".  When Manfred Mann's Earth Band recorded the song they changed the line to "revved up like a deuce". 

The line never contained the "d" word.

Honored Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

Anyone know what Ride My Seesaw by the Moody Blues is about?!

Drugs? Something else?

@sandraskates  John Lodge of the Moody Blues wrote that song as the experience of going out into the world and finding things are not what you think they will be.  Riding the see-saw is experiencing the ups and downs of life.

Geesh people - y'all have drugs on the brain!!LOL

Respected Contributor

I liked the song "SemiCharmedLife."  I didn't know it was about - debauchery!