Honored Contributor

Some words and meanings in songs

Duke of Earl. It was a few years ago I actually listened closely to this song on the radio and heard the word "Dukedom" for the first time. I mean, after all these years!! LOL

Then I started singing "one toke over the line, sweet Jesus" and I wanted to look up what they said, was it toke or toe and I just misunderstood it. Didn't know. Turns out they said "toke" is a drug song and a toke is a puff of marijuana. Good grief. I never knew that before.

Have you ever had a word in a song that you really listened to, or had to see what was behind a song? I think many are written from experiences in their lives too.

Honored Contributor

Re: Some words and meanings in songs

Yes, that's why I like to listen to hip-hop and rap (not the vulgar kind). You need an urban language dictionary just to begin to figure out some of the songs and even then some of the words aren't defined...totally slang. To me it's like decoding a secret language...LOL!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

American Pie comes to mind when you talk about deciphering a song. 

Much has been written to explain the lyrics, and if you lived during the times it makes it somewhat easier to understand. But to me, it is one of the most cryptic songs ever written.

Respected Contributor

One TOE over the line ! That's so cute. Thanks for the giggles. I'm showing my age when I say that I guess I assumed that everyone knows what a toke is.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow-what an interesting topic.

"Kiss from a Rose"

My young daughter told me years ago that it was about cocaine?- I read more interpretations of it and many think rose=addiction or falling off of addiction; "love" was the name of a popular drug at the time; "snow"=cocaine-again reference to drugs.

It could be many things and some do not think Seal would have sung so much about drugs because he was a fitness addict and had young children etc.

I just remembered being shocked and thought how naive and clueless I was-such a lovely song referencing things that weren't lovely at all.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Wow, I did not know "Kiss from a Rose" was drug-related.

Such a lovely title and tune. . .

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's a commonly known one, or at least it was back in the day. Band is Creedence Clearwater Revival, song Bad Moon Rising. Mistaken Lyric : There's a bathroom on the right. Actual Lyric: There's a bad moon on the rise.

Honored Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

Here's a commonly known one, or at least it was back in the day. Band is Creedence Clearwater Revival, song Bad Moon Rising. Mistaken Lyric : There's a bathroom on the right. Actual Lyric: There's a bad moon on the rise.

@PhilaLady1  John Fogerty will sing that line once when performing this song with a big smile.  Went to two concerts in the past few years and he does this everytime.  Too funny.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 - that's hysterical ! I did not know that.
Regular Contributor

One that always made me laugh and still does is "Poison Ivy"  By ?  ( I forget the group) but my girl friend used to sing " boys on the highway"  We actually believed those were the words, which made no sense in the context of the song.