Honored Contributor

Re: Some nice new public habits

Because I have mobility issues and can only stand for a couple of minutes, I use the electric carts.  I do almost all my shopping at Walmart because it's so convenient.  I don't think I've ever been in the store when someone didn't offer to reach something, or help unload onto the conveyer belt or even to help put my bags into the car.  There are a lot of stinkers out there but the majority of people are so nice.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

At the supermarket, I'm happy to see that 99% of shoppers seem to return their carts to the corral areas.  When these were first introduced, it seemed like most shoppers continued to want to just dump them at the closest locations to their cars.  But now it seems like everyone is on board with the idea.

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@tucsongal wrote:

Am I understanding that you have to pay a quarter for a grocery cart? I've never heard of such a thing, so maybe I'm mistaken.  

Oops, meant to respond to jpie regarding Aldi's

I was wondering about that, too.  I live in California and have never had to pay for a cart.  (We do now pay 10 cents for each paper grocery bag, though.)  We don't have Aldi's here, as far as I'm aware.

@151949

@jpie

@GingerPeach, CA is getting Aldi's, but as far as I know it's only, or at least first, planned to be in SoCal :-(

As I understand it, you have to bag your own groceries and pay 25 cents to get a cart. Which is refunded when you return it to its proper spot in the parking lot. Not going to go over well in the rain!

The good thing about Aldi's around here (in the Chicagoland area) is that the carts are protected by an overhang so you are out of the elements went selecting/returning your cart.

That is how they are here too!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

at our GIANT grocery stores you can use a scanner during your shopping trip. you take the bags as you enter or use your own.....paper or plastic. you scan your loyalty card or put in your phone number. as you shop, you scan the item and place it into one of the bags......and continue until you are finished. once your shopping is complete you then take the scanner to a cashier OR you can use the self checkout. the scanner gets attached to the computer and you choose how you want to pay. you can also scan all of your coupons yourself and then put them into the box attached to the checkout stand. make your payment and you are off. if you are paying in cash or by check a light flashes for a cashier to come and take your money. it does save some time and no need to put anything onto the belt.

Some people may like this idea...but I'm not one of them!  I seldom even want to use the self checkouts.  I do my job, and don't care to go to a business where I have the "opportunity" to do someone else's job.  

I try to do my grocery shopping during the less busy times of the day, so it wouldn't save me any time...would probably just slow me down.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

at our GIANT grocery stores you can use a scanner during your shopping trip. you take the bags as you enter or use your own.....paper or plastic. you scan your loyalty card or put in your phone number. as you shop, you scan the item and place it into one of the bags......and continue until you are finished. once your shopping is complete you then take the scanner to a cashier OR you can use the self checkout. the scanner gets attached to the computer and you choose how you want to pay. you can also scan all of your coupons yourself and then put them into the box attached to the checkout stand. make your payment and you are off. if you are paying in cash or by check a light flashes for a cashier to come and take your money. it does save some time and no need to put anything onto the belt.

I must say, being able to do all that seems like the model all stores should aspire to.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

I must say, being able to do all that seems like the model all stores should aspire to.

it really does save time, once you get used to doing it. everything goes into the cart once and out of the cart once. i can pack the items the way i want to.

another bonus.......while my daughters were  young teens and teenagers theyLOVED coming shopping with me and helping me scan the items with the hand held scanner and putting them into the bags.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

Am I understanding that you have to pay a quarter for a grocery cart? I've never heard of such a thing, so maybe I'm mistaken.  

Oops, meant to respond to jpie regarding Aldi's

Tucsongal2:  I am not certain but I believe this is to encourage people to return the cart and not steal it - I am guessing that somehow they get their quarter back.  I know that in the UK at least one chain of supermarkets have their carts locked together.  The customer has to put an English pound in the slot to release the cart, but they get the pound back as they return the cart later.

Super Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

it really does save time, once you get used to doing it. everything goes into the cart once and out of the cart once. i can pack the items the way i want to.

another bonus.......while my daughters were  young teens and teenagers theyLOVED coming shopping with me and helping me scan the items with the hand held scanner and putting them into the bags.

I read an article recently that some supermarkets have found people leaving some big items in their carts (this was at Christmas and they mentioned frozen turkeys particularly) and not scanning them.  I did wonder why an alarm didn't go off as they tried to go out through the door, but the article didn't explain that one.

Respected Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I have always put the divider in front and back of my order.  I prefer to bag my own.  The store is usually willing to do if, but they put too much in the bag and things get squished.

This ^.    I'd love to bag my own, one time I had a checker cram a box of fresh donuts in my bag sideways.  Didn't work out well for the donuts and I made her take them out.  I also use reusible bags and just because it says it will hold 40lbs doesn't mean you should try to put that much in it.

Most people around here put the dividers up behind them.

I'd love the quarter for the cart thing.  I've never heard of it, but people are pretty lazy about returning them anywhere.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I was grocery shopping this morning and it struck me that one of the nice things that's developed over the past years is the habit people have of placing that divider bar that separates your groceries from the person next in line.

It used to be that everyone placed their own in front of their groceries, but in this area (maybe nationwide?), folks are now placing the dividers behind their groceries so the next person doesn't have to do it.

I used to make it a point to say "thank you" or that I liked it.  Now I don't because it's become so common.

Are there any other public habits you can think of that make life nicer?

I've done this for as long as I can remember (the divider thing) I do it more so that the cashier doesn't accidentally ring any of my items up with those of the person in front of or behind me.

If I have coupons that I end up not using, I hand them off to someone who wants them as I'm leaving.