Honored Contributor

Re: Some nice new public habits

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@GingerPeach. The store in my town, Shop Rite, you have to bag your own unless you want to wait till the cashier completes your order, then they will bag. You also need to take them to the car yourself.

The two grocery stores where I shop (Whole Foods and Safeway) have slightly different methods.

Safeway offers self-checkout (including self-bagging) as well as checkout with a clerk.  (I hate self checkout.  The scanners never work; the store card scans improperly most of the time; I've given up.)  Bags are paper.  Whole Foods only has clerks to check you out.  The baggers bag the groceries, either in your own bags (which they encourage) or in paper bags. 

Sometimes you are offered help to the car; sometimes not.  I usually don't take it.  Sometimes I say to the bagger, "Only if you want to get some fresh air," since I don't need help putting bags in the car (physically speaking). 

I'm finding it interesting how different stores as well as different areas of the country approach shopping and bagging differently.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@GingerPeach. The store in my town, Shop Rite, you have to bag your own unless you want to wait till the cashier completes your order, then they will bag. You also need to take them to the car yourself.

I prefer to bag my own stuff, at least there is some kind of order to it and you drop the bag in the pantry or by the fridge or bathroom closet.

The cashiers always say thank you for bagging.

Every once in a while the cart collector will help unload the cart if he happens to be passing by collecting the carts that people have left all over the place.  He's so cute, makes my day when I see him.

Honored Contributor

One large disadvantage to self-checkout to me is if you have coupons or discounts. I don't know about the grocery stores, but at CVS if you have discount coupons or it's on your card, a CVS checker has to check you out. I rarely use coupons at the grocery story but if I did I think that would discourage me from self-checking/bagging. Too much chance of things not working.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

You have to bag your own groceries at most grocery stores in my area.  One store has baggers from 4:00-6:00 P.M. when people rush in from work to grab something to make for dinner.  I think they do that to keep lines moving.  Otherwise it is a "do it yourself" world around here.

Esteemed Contributor

It would be nice if folks would clean up after themselves wherever they go.  Litter is so telling of the real character of people. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

One of the self service attendants always scans my things for me while the're still in the cart.  He's such a nice guy and then while I'm selecting type of payment he's doing the same for the next customer that walked up.  He also scans coupons.  I think this is a much better idea than having to unload everything on a conveyer...if we were to walk up to a regular lane think how much easier it would be (if you have 20 items or less).  I could see that it would be a mess if someone's cart was overflowing with grocery items.  I use my own bag and just place everything in it when he's done. 

Honored Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

You have to bag your own groceries at most grocery stores in my area.  One store has baggers from 4:00-6:00 P.M. when people rush in from work to grab something to make for dinner.  I think they do that to keep lines moving.  Otherwise it is a "do it yourself" world around here.

Funny - that's exactly the time, when most working people are tired from work and fighting traffic and probably a bit on the cranky side wanting to get home, that most people would want to be on autopilot and have someone else do it. I would avoid that store just out of aggravation. If, however, the great majority of their customers do not work, and shop during the day, they are probably happy with it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I have always put the divider in front and back of my order.  I prefer to bag my own.  The store is usually willing to do if, but they put too much in the bag and things get squished.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@tucsongal wrote:

Am I understanding that you have to pay a quarter for a grocery cart? I've never heard of such a thing, so maybe I'm mistaken.  

Oops, meant to respond to jpie regarding Aldi's

I was wondering about that, too.  I live in California and have never had to pay for a cart.  (We do now pay 10 cents for each paper grocery bag, though.)  We don't have Aldi's here, as far as I'm aware.

@151949

@jpie

@GingerPeach, CA is getting Aldi's, but as far as I know it's only, or at least first, planned to be in SoCal :-(

As I understand it, you have to bag your own groceries and pay 25 cents to get a cart. Which is refunded when you return it to its proper spot in the parking lot. Not going to go over well in the rain!

The good thing about Aldi's around here (in the Chicagoland area) is that the carts are protected by an overhang so you are out of the elements went selecting/returning your cart.

Honored Contributor

at our GIANT grocery stores you can use a scanner during your shopping trip. you take the bags as you enter or use your own.....paper or plastic. you scan your loyalty card or put in your phone number. as you shop, you scan the item and place it into one of the bags......and continue until you are finished. once your shopping is complete you then take the scanner to a cashier OR you can use the self checkout. the scanner gets attached to the computer and you choose how you want to pay. you can also scan all of your coupons yourself and then put them into the box attached to the checkout stand. make your payment and you are off. if you are paying in cash or by check a light flashes for a cashier to come and take your money. it does save some time and no need to put anything onto the belt.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein