Honored Contributor

Some happy wildlife and forest news

Earthjustice just reported that the Tongass National Forest (Alaska) remains protected under the national Roadless Rule.

The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruling will help prevent massive old-growth clear-cutting, timber sales and destructive roads.

The forest is home to much wildlife such as bears, hawks, and more.

Earthjustice has been fighting for years for this victory.  (I only recently began to support this.  I didn't want to give the impression that I was on the front lines, or anything.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Some happy wildlife and forest news

Finally some GOOD news about the environment!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach wrote:

Earthjustice just reported that the Tongass National Forest (Alaska) remains protected under the national Roadless Rule.

The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruling will help prevent massive old-growth clear-cutting, timber sales and destructive roads.

The forest is home to much wildlife such as bears, hawks, and more.

Earthjustice has been fighting for years for this victory.  (I only recently began to support this.  I didn't want to give the impression that I was on the front lines, or anything.)

Thank you for bringing this good news to us and wonderful memories to me!

I am Athabaskan, adopted and moved away right after I was born.

Found my biological family, I have 6 sisters.

I went on a month long summer trip, about 10 yrs ago.

I visited Ketchikan, Juneau, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Wasilla, Eagle, Tanana.

It is hard to describe the beauty of the land, Mount McKinley, boating down the Tanana and Yukon rivers and the wildlife, so much to see and do!

I attended a Potlatch, State Fair and the people are so friendly and giving, they will open their homes up to visitors, when offered food always accept, I tried a lot of different kinds of food there.

And be careful of your compliments they will literally give you the shirt off their back.

I look forward to visiting there again!

Take care of yourself so you can take care of others.

sunshine&rainbows

Honored Contributor

DH and I watch the grizzlies at Katmai every year on Roku Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine&rainbows Nice post.  My elder mother is from Ketchkan and now lives in Colorado.  She shared with me all the wrongs done against her people, the land, and herself.  She adopted me as my mother passed a few years ago.  I am Apache.  Many wounds need to be addressed and some healed but the scars will always remain. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@sunshine&rainbows Nice post.  My elder mother is from Ketchkan and now lives in Colorado.  She shared with me all the wrongs done against her people, the land, and herself.  She adopted me as my mother passed a few years ago.  I am Apache.  Many wounds need to be addressed and some healed but the scars will always remain. 

@Puzzle Piece Good morning!

You are blessed my sister.

I love Colorado, my son was born there, and I have lived there 3 different times.

I still have family there, also the land is so very beautiful the mountains, rivers, the wild life.

Yes I agree with you, I have read some very interesting books on the subject.

Genealogy, biography's, linguistics, and  truth based fiction.

I also worked in CA for the Tribal Council and Native health center, different tribes were herded up to this reservation. Many died along the way.

So very sad when you think of the hardships and afflictions that developed from all this. 

Na  Dene  The Apache-Navajo and Athabaskan are ancestors from the same tribes.

Take care of yourself so you can take care of others ~ 

sunshine&rainbows

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine&rainbows Hello to a fellow sister.  I will share that I also have another elder mother who is Chiricahua Apache.  I am Mescalero.  I do my volunteer work exposing and teaching children and adults about the Indigenous People of North America.  I find the task quite large but satisfying for me.  

My sic would say "Never Forget the Native American Indian Holoucasts" for a reason.  They were fact and still are today. 

My other elder mother from Ketchkan is Tsimshian.  With them, there is a richness to living. 

Super Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@sunshine&rainbows Hello to a fellow sister.  I will share that I also have another elder mother who is Chiricahua Apache.  I am Mescalero.  I do my volunteer work exposing and teaching children and adults about the Indigenous People of North America.  I find the task quite large but satisfying for me.  

My sic would say "Never Forget the Native American Indian Holoucasts" for a reason.  They were fact and still are today. 

My other elder mother from Ketchkan is Tsimshian.  With them, there is a richness to living. 

@Puzzle Piece

Thank you for volunteering and keeping this tragic history alive.

I know you also probably teach the beauty of our ancestors also, which is very important.

I have three sisters living in Ketchikan, one of them just visited Maui, where we met up and spent some time together, hopefully she will be there in March and I will Island hop over there again!

One other sister lives in Anchorage, she visits me every year.

I have learned there is such a beauty and richness in all my sisters and brothers.

I grew up with just my brother and I, he was also adopted from  Fairbanks Alaska, my mother flew back there two years after I was born and picked him up.

I cant remember his tribe at the moment, but he is from the Nenana region and I am from the Koyukuk region. Sorry ugh still waking up here!

Take care of yourself so you can take care of others ~

sunshine&rainbows

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine&rainbows Yes, I do teach and expose the beauty of our ancestors - all the tribes.  There is much to share and much to learn. 

"Never Forget the Native American Genocide"

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@sunshine&rainbows Yes, I do teach and expose the beauty of our ancestors - all the tribes.  There is much to share and much to learn. 

"Never Forget the Native American Genocide"

@Puzzle Piece You brought back some memories,

I lived in NM, AZ.,TX.

I would love to share more on this subject and our experience's!

I am leaving right now, so I will be back later...

Memories of our ash.

Ahehee my sister will talk to you soon.

Never will forget my sister. I hope I do not get poofed, this is all new to me, first time I ever put a pic up? And new to this thread, board type of sharing. 

I had to take the pic down, had a link? Sorry!

Take care of yourself so you can take care of others ~

rainbows&sunshine