Honored Contributor

Re: Some encouraging numbers for Covid-19

The numbers in our county have been increasing day by day, we are one of the "hot spots" in the US!

My sister died yesterday morning of Covid-19, it was one of the worst things I have ever gone through!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RoughDraft , you post such  common sense that cuts through things. Reading this, I suddenly wondered if the ban on visitors, preventing firsthand witnessing by family survivors, has deprived us of a significant element, a deprivation that's affecting compliance. The lockout of visitors has resulted in silence where there would have been an enormous body of testimony from spouses, siblings, parents, and children who'd describe what it's like to sit with a loved one who is dying of COVID-19.  The absence of that documentation creates an air of unreality about the impact of the disease that I think has a negative impact on wearing masks and distancing for some people.

Just something that occurred to me, reading your post.

What put the fear of God in me was early on,  I listened to a ICU Doctor talk about how intubating patients was awful, and how little practice Doctors had until this Pandemic, because they hardly ever had to do it.  And his struggle, everytime he had to tell a patient that may be their last time to speak and did they have anything to say. Hard to forget.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Hooty wrote:

The numbers in our county have been increasing day by day, we are one of the "hot spots" in the US!

My sister died yesterday morning of Covid-19, it was one of the worst things I have ever gone through!

@Hooty My heartfelt condolences. 

Respected Contributor

What are you talking about???? Go back to normal??? Are you kidding?.. This is SOOOO frustrating! 

Here are the facts:

ONLY 5% of the people in this country have been infected thus far and that has equated to over 112,000 deaths! 

It is projected that there could potentially be an additional 100k deaths by August (200k in total)

70% of people would need to be infected BEFORE the virus would even start to dissipate (OR a vaccine would need to be 100% effective) . Imagine what this would mean! We would be looking at 800k - 1.2million deaths! 

The Problem:

Selfish, idiotic people aren't distancing and aren't swearing masks

NO one is safe from this virus!

NO... it is NOT safe!

Respected Contributor

@noodleann   Thank you for your kind words.

You're right about the visitations.  Patients being isolated from family and loved ones is possibly one of the most horrible side-effect of this monstrous virus.  They have no voice, no witnesses.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

Still, NOT enough testing and, we don't yet have the capacity to track and trace!

Respected Contributor

@Hooty , I am so sorry about your sister. My heart goes out to you.

Respected Contributor

@Hooty   I am so sorry for your devastating loss.  It could be any of us, could't it?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

I am so sorry to read about your sister, @Hooty 

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Encouraging would be zero new cases so we can get back to normal. Other countries are succeeding so it is completely possible, but not us.

I'm wondering why Louisiana is included in this group, since our peak was back in March, and we have been leveled out for quite some time now. (Realizing that "level" does not mean a straight horizontal line.) I was just reading today that the Louisiana's high peak early in the pandemic led to an early shut down (March 22) and an extremely sharp drop in cases.  So far we have maintained that drop.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett