Honored Contributor

Re: Some encouraging numbers for Covid-19

@Bhvbum 

"In Nassau County, health officials...don't specifically ask individuals who test positive whether they’ve attended protests,"

And the reason for that is????

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Bhvbum 

"In Nassau County, health officials...don't specifically ask individuals who test positive whether they’ve attended protests,"

hckynut

You know John. Everyone does. 

Honored Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

Just curious about this---are the protesters required to wear masks in these big cities?  I've just seen brief images on the news and what I've seen it looks like most do, but are they required to?   Just wondering.

@KKJ 

I really don't have an answer, just an opinion. Who exactly would enforce that requirement, and how would they do so? Most law enforcement seems to have their hands full with crowd control.

Since there appears to be different groups protesting, there is 1 thing I have noticed in reference to wearing masks. The 1 group doing the "worst things", seem to have a higher percentage wearing masks. Have you noticed the same?

I don't want to seem presumptuous, but could it be to further hide their identity?

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Nassau County isn't NYC.

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Not feeling positive since learning a third coworker died from COVID last week.

@bikerbabe, I'm so sorry. That is naturally very disturbing.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:

NYC is instructing contact tracers to not ask people if they joined protests/riots because they don’t want any stats/evidence proving protests led to a corona spike. Much easier for them to blame biz owners and church goers.

This is fake news.

@mom2four0418 :  I found this:

Democratic New York City Mayor Bill De Blasio’s “contact tracing team” won’t be allowed to ask COVID-19 patients if they attended a George Floyd protest recently, The City reported. 

The “contact tracing team” is tasked with finding an infected patient’s recent contacts and informing them about their exposure to the virus so they can self-isolate. However, the team is not allowed to ask people if they attended one of the many recent demonstrations where thousands of people gathered closely together to protest the death of George Floyd.  NOT FAKE NEWS.

@Hoovermom, perhaps it's a First Amendment issue or a privacy issue. In any case, I'm not sure what the point would be anyway in asking such a question. A protester may have had a friend or relative with them, but otherwise, it's a mass of strangers.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Does anyone care about our health care workers who are overworked,  burned out and under constant threat of exposure?
Mask or no mask, that's our choice. But you'd better pray that there is a doctor available to treat you should you contract the virus.

And those who think a vaccine is the answer, think again. We currently have people who never get a flu vaccine. And those who don't vaccinate their children. 

Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

I read that you can reduce your being killed in an auto accident by almost 100% by wearing your seatbelt, paying attention, and don't speed.

I heard the same thing from Dr. Fauci who said if you wear a face mask, do social distancing, wash your hands, and avoid crowds and staying too long, you can also get close to 100%.

Most things are so easy to do, I don't understand why so many people don't? In the meantime 22 states are showing the highest numbers since the start of the pandemic today.

@Bhvbum 

More tests/more positives. How many "positives" needed to be hospitalized?  

I see it this way. The ones that tested positive how many were asymptomatic? And since they know they are positive are chances better that they will follow the guidelines more strictly?

To me these numbers are more important than the fact more test "positive".

hckynut

======================================

Before Arizona lifted its stay-at-home order, about 5% of tests for the coronavirus registered as positive. Two weeks later, that number was around 12%.  That is a bad sign, especially since AZ hospital bed capacity is now at 83%.  In a couple of weeks those some of the positives will turn into ICU cases.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

Testing has hit all time high.....thus more positives.

Good point, which means we have a higher infection than we even knew.  Bad news,  means more widespread with greater opportunity to get infected.  All the more reason to wear a mask, etc.

The number you need to look at are hospitalizations.

@Bhvbum       @Hoovermom 

The number to look at is the ratio of positive tests to total tests.  In my state it has doubled.  That is the Only number we have access to to tell us if the infection is going up or down.

Looking at hospitalization numbers gives a high factor to those who have pre-existing conditions.  The very thing some have been saying means we don’t have a problem, you know the ‘it’s just old sick people.’ Comments.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Bhvbum 

hckynut

I "Google it" and it makes sense not to ask specifically about protesting because you are leading the person being interview:

In Nassau County, health officials...don't specifically ask individuals who test positive whether they’ve attended protests, they do ask them where they’ve been recently.

“We ask them questions about where they’ve been so that we can gauge who may be at risk,” said Mary Ellen Laurain, a spokesperson for the Nassau County Health Department. “It may come out as part of the interview, but we ask more open-ended questions.”