Honored Contributor

Re: Some encouraging numbers for Covid-19

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819Who is having meltdowns and panicking? I'm just not seeing that. If you're referring to your fellow posters, that seems like an attempt to mock or insult them.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

this is one of the main numbers i am looking at daily.....hospitalizations in maryland....

Maryland’s current total COVID-19 hospitalizations have dropped to 745, and ICU beds have dropped below 300 for the first time since April 6. Confirmed deaths over the last seven days have dropped by more than 25% compared to the previous seven days.

— Governor Larry Hogan (@GovLarryHogan) June 15, 2020

The state also reported more than a half of a million people have been tested in the state — 500,791 to be exact and 359,076 have tested negative.

- via WJZ Baltimore

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I am keeping my hopes up for a vaccine so that my state can move into phase 4.

Honored Contributor

Despite any statistics or tweets or experts, I think young or old, healthy or underlying conditions, the scary thing about this virus is it seems to have no warning rhyme or reason.

It does not pick and chose, including all the posters here.

You don't know how, where, or when, or who, and then do not know if you will have mild, asymptomatic or fatal experiences with this virus.

And no one seems to know anything that is  100% sure yet.

That is why it IS scary and real and really unrealistic to think otherwise.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Just curious about this---are the protesters required to wear masks in these big cities?  I've just seen brief images on the news and what I've seen it looks like most do, but are they required to?   Just wondering.

Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Despite any statistics or tweets or experts, I think young or old, healthy or underlying conditions, the scary thing about this virus is it seems to have no warning rhyme or reason.

It does not pick and chose, including all the posters here.

You don't know how, where, or when, or who, and then do not know if you will have mild, asymptomatic or fatal experiences with this virus.

And no one seems to know anything that is  100% sure yet.

That is why it IS scary and real and really unrealistic to think otherwise.

How is it any different than anyother virus/illness people encounter everyday?  You can never predict with certanity who will get cancer, who will get the flu, who will get that cold.  Then when or if they will recover.....   Is it somewthing you need to be aware of and take precautions against, of course.  Yet you cannot live in constant fear of something that might happen, that is not living.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

Just curious about this---are the protesters required to wear masks in these big cities?  I've just seen brief images on the news and what I've seen it looks like most do, but are they required to?   Just wondering.

Depends, every State or City may have different requirements concerning wearing a mask

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Two things to consider...

Our medical facilities are not endlessly elastic.  You know those funny posters about do you want to be intubated by a gyn?  Humor rests on truth.

Our economic recovery will not work with only those who do not mask and do not distance.  We have no other tools right now.  If half of the population opts out, it will fail.

Honored Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

Most peaceful protesters are doing it because they care about their own lives and those of others, so it makes perfect sense that they are also wearing masks to protect their/our brothers and sisters. The point is to live and thrive.

It only takes 70-80% compliance with mask wearing to cut down transmission to the point where we can beat it. Some of the protest crowds I've seen could very well meet that threshold. It's a great example.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy -

I agree about the not living in constant fear. I do think we each have to find ways to stay safe in this very weird and unpredictable worldwide contageous pandemic, not be in constant state of fear, and find new ways to enjoy our lives and stay safe at the same time.

I give myself a few minutes to worry and then try to turn it off. Because yes I too think we have to keep living the best we can.

It is encouraging to see the many ways people are trying to do this, even though it can be hard for sure, especially those with children of all different ages, and working and schooling at home, first responders, small business, etc.and of course those who have sadly experienced death to those close to them.

We all seem to have so many different circumstances that affect each of us so differently and depending where we live as well.

I truly think it is good to try to be empathetic towards so many with vastly different experiences.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"