Respected Contributor

Re: Some encouraging numbers for Covid-19

@Drythe wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

Testing has hit all time high.....thus more positives.

Good point, which means we have a higher infection than we even knew.  Bad news,  means more widespread with greater opportunity to get infected.  All the more reason to wear a mask, etc.

The number you need to look at are hospitalizations.

@Bhvbum       @Hoovermom 

The number to look at is the ratio of positive tests to total tests.  In my state it has doubled.  That is the Only number we have access to to tell us if the infection is going up or down.

Looking at hospitalization numbers gives a high factor to those who have pre-existing conditions.  The very thing some have been saying means we don’t have a problem, you know the ‘it’s just old sick people.’ Comments.

Before Arizona lifted its stay-at-home order, about 5% of tests for the coronavirus registered as positive. Two weeks later, that number was around 12%.  The increase in positives has AZ hospitals alarmed because they are at 83% bed capacity right now and the curve is still going up.

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

Just curious about this---are the protesters required to wear masks in these big cities?  I've just seen brief images on the news and what I've seen it looks like most do, but are they required to?   Just wondering.

They apparently have zero control over these people. They aren't asking them to follow any rules at all. It's as if everyone is afraid to confront them about anything. Meanwhile some places you can't even open your business. It's lunacy and it's wrong to allow them to do anything they want. 

@Lali1 

Pardon, I’m having trouble following you,

who are ‘They’ and ‘Them’?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

Testing has hit all time high.....thus more positives.

Good point, which means we have a higher infection than we even knew.  Bad news,  means more widespread with greater opportunity to get infected.  All the more reason to wear a mask, etc.

The number you need to look at are hospitalizations.

@Bhvbum       @Hoovermom 

The number to look at is the ratio of positive tests to total tests.  In my state it has doubled.  That is the Only number we have access to to tell us if the infection is going up or down.

Looking at hospitalization numbers gives a high factor to those who have pre-existing conditions.  The very thing some have been saying means we don’t have a problem, you know the ‘it’s just old sick people.’ Comments.

Before Arizona lifted its stay-at-home order, about 5% of tests for the coronavirus registered as positive. Two weeks later, that number was around 12%.  The increase in positives has AZ hospitals alarmed because they are at 83% bed capacity right now and the curve is still going up.

@Bhvbum 

I get it, I really do.  I’m in NC.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

@Drythe @Bhvbum   Ditto. SC here

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

NYC is instructing contact tracers to not ask people if they joined protests/riots because they don’t want any stats/evidence proving protests led to a corona spike. Much easier for them to blame biz owners and church goers.

@MorningLover 

Please share your source.  I follow COVID closely in my work and I haven’t seen this.

Do you think we should want stats/evidence proving if large indoor events lead to a COVID spike? 

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

I read that you can reduce your being killed in an auto accident by almost 100% by wearing your seatbelt, paying attention, and don't speed.

I heard the same thing from Dr. Fauci who said if you wear a face mask, do social distancing, wash your hands, and avoid crowds and staying too long, you can also get close to 100%.

Most things are so easy to do, I don't understand why so many people don't? In the meantime 22 states are showing the highest numbers since the start of the pandemic today.

@Bhvbum 

The numbers in our city in Texas are going up because:

1. More people are getting tested on their own

2. Some people are just throwing caution to the wind and are just tired of the whole thing.......no masks, no social distancing, just doing what they want.....

Thankfully our recovery rate is also very high....The total cases are 4393---active cases as of this morning are 2025 (151 new), the number of recovered are 2380, the hospitalizations are 214 ICU and 92 on ventilators....deaths 88

It will be interesting to see what the crowds of protestors do to the numbers....

@Bhvbum @Interesting. Thank you for the information. So, based on the numbers you have so far, there's about a 2% mortality rate. Of course this is not an accurate number because we still don't know the true total number of cases and we are still investigating all possible deaths that could be related but have not been included in the counts.

Respected Contributor

Are we all forgetting the primary problem here?  COVID 19 is an entity that is being visited upon us and it's sole purpose is to find hosts to continue its spread.  It's not political, it has no compassion, it simply is and wants to continue looking for viable hosts. Perhaps it was existing happily in  places like rain forests before man started looking to make profits in other ways by deforesting areas that should have been left alone.  Or perhaps spread by bizarre eating habits of people around the world.  We really don't know.

We whine about the discomfort of wearing face masks to curb the spread.  Do we whine at the growing numbers of hospitalzations and deaths?  It's a simple enough sacrifice to wear a mask until AND IF a vaccine is developed, if it ever is?

We, as average human beings will not find the anwers on Google.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

I read that you can reduce your being killed in an auto accident by almost 100% by wearing your seatbelt, paying attention, and don't speed.

I heard the same thing from Dr. Fauci who said if you wear a face mask, do social distancing, wash your hands, and avoid crowds and staying too long, you can also get close to 100%.

Most things are so easy to do, I don't understand why so many people don't? In the meantime 22 states are showing the highest numbers since the start of the pandemic today.

@Bhvbum 

2. Some people are just throwing caution to the wind and are just tired of the whole thing.......no masks, no social distancing, just doing what they want.....

Thankfully our recovery rate is also very high....The total cases are 4393---active cases as of this morning are 2025 (151 new), the number of recovered are 2380, the hospitalizations are 214 ICU and 92 on ventilators....deaths 88

It will be interesting to see what the crowds of protestors do to the numbers....

@Bhvbum @Interesting. Thank you for the information. So, based on the numbers you have so far, there's about a 2% mortality rate. Of course this is not an accurate number because we still don't know the true total number of cases and we are still investigating all possible deaths that could be related but have not been included in the counts.

@Mindy D, a 2% mortality rate is bad enough on its own. And of course it's much higher for those over 65 and those with health issues, which make up a significant portion of the population.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Bhvbum 

@Mindy D, a 2% mortality rate is bad enough on its own. And of course it's much higher for those over 65 and those with health issues, which make up a significant portion of the population.

@suzyQ3 @I'm definitely not disagreeing with you at all. 2% is not good. I was just doing some number crunching with Jeanbhy's data. You won't find me under estimating the cost of the virus on the lives and health of any one person or any group of people. To me, this is a serious health problem that shouldn't be be dismissed or taken lightly. 

Respected Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

Are we all forgetting the primary problem here?  COVID 19 is an entity that is being visited upon us and it's sole purpose is to find hosts to continue its spread.  It's not political, it has no compassion, it simply is and wants to continue looking for viable hosts. Perhaps it was existing happily in  places like rain forests before man started looking to make profits in other ways by deforesting areas that should have been left alone.  Or perhaps spread by bizarre eating habits of people around the world.  We really don't know.

We whine about the discomfort of wearing face masks to curb the spread.  Do we whine at the growing numbers of hospitalzations and deaths?  It's a simple enough sacrifice to wear a mask until AND IF a vaccine is developed, if it ever is?

We, as average human beings will not find the anwers on Google.

@RoughDraft , you post such  common sense that cuts through things. Reading this, I suddenly wondered if the ban on visitors, preventing firsthand witnessing by family survivors, has deprived us of a significant element, a deprivation that's affecting compliance. The lockout of visitors has resulted in silence where there would have been an enormous body of testimony from spouses, siblings, parents, and children who'd describe what it's like to sit with a loved one who is dying of COVID-19.  The absence of that documentation creates an air of unreality about the impact of the disease that I think has a negative impact on wearing masks and distancing for some people.

Just something that occurred to me, reading your post.