Trusted Contributor

Re: Some Things Haven't Changed

[ Edited ]

It's a shame that good discussion and differing views have to be "deleted."   I think there was an interesting discussion going on during this trying time in our country.  

When we can't talk about the problems and share our views, that's where things can go wrong and get out of hand.

I find the posts on stupid reality shows and whether a celebrity had surgery more annoying than current events and the news of the day.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

I wish they'd just delete the offending posts, the rest of the conversation was good.

Not 100% sure what is being alluded to with this post. But if it's about a thread about current events being deleted, the whole thing was "offending," in that it was against the board standards...

What is being alluded to is, if the thread is civil for the most part, delete whatever they find offensive. I don't see whats so offending about the guys arraignment or where he got the gun,

Sorry, @nun ya. I wasn't clear.  I meant I wasn't 100% clear what was being alluded to by the OP's post (I assumed the church story?)  I got your meaning.  But when the standards now clearly say that it's not acceptable to post about current events or controversial topics (both of which the church story is), I don't think it's surprising if the mods aren't willing to cherrypick which replies to get rid of when they're justified in getting rid of the whole thing.

I am not exactly sure what this thread is about since I didn't see the previous activity, but in an effort to try and make this clear as mud....the standards do not clearly state that it is not acceptable to post about current events.   There is no such language in the standards.  The standards can be readily accessed by clicking on the link on the left hand menu.  Those are the standards and identify what is enforced here.

Guidelines are just that, they are guidelines.  The moderators posted some discussion to clarify why some topics might be deleted and others might not.  So there is some language in the guidelines about current events that become or are controversial.  It does not state that a poster cannot discuss current events.  Geez, a tornado outbreak in the mid-west would be a current event, or preparing for an approaching hurricane, the floods in Texas...those are all current events.  But if those threads were to become contentious or controversial by the way the thread progresses, the moderators make the decision as to whether it is deleted or not.  We may or may not agree with that decision, but it is their decision. 

However, it does not mean that one cannot discuss current events here. Heck, even a thread about weather warnings can become contentious sometimes around here.  lol   

ETA:  Just saw where newsiesuzie said the same thing.  LOL!  Missed that before I started posting.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't swear on a stack of Bibles, but I do have a pretty good memory.  Since this thread brought up the question about current events, I remember that on Monday morning when this forum opened, someone mentioned the Standards and I went and read them.  I am 99% certain that, at that time, there was a mention of not discussing current events.  And I was surprised just now, after the statement previously on this thread, when I read them again, "current events" is not mentioned.  

Again, I don't think I imagined it because I was fairly surprised, since if we can't discuss current events, it wouldn't leave much to discuss.  Does anyone else recall reading that Monday morning? 

Valued Contributor

The florist woman who turned in the murderer said she saw his picture and the entire story on FOX NEWS or she would not have known anything about it at all.  Glad she was watching FOX and called the authorities.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
KittymomNC it's in their explanation of the Standards
but they used current events as an EXAMPLE of things that
CAN turn controversial and MIGHT get banned.

People got the idea the Standards were changed but they weren't.

I started a thread about it and there's a whole discussion on it, it's here on the first page of the Community Chat.☺️

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can understand them pulling a thread that is getting mean or going on about areas that have no relation to a topic.    

But, I think all of us posting on the thread about the SC shooting were there because we were upset and mourning for those lives lost.    It's an emotionally charged situation.    I think we all were reacting to the depth of this story and its aftermath and no one meant harm or to hurt anyone else.

This is an American tragedy of the highest magnitude.

Respected Contributor

@kittymomNC wrote:

I wouldn't swear on a stack of Bibles, but I do have a pretty good memory.  Since this thread brought up the question about current events, I remember that on Monday morning when this forum opened, someone mentioned the Standards and I went and read them.  I am 99% certain that, at that time, there was a mention of not discussing current events.  And I was surprised just now, after the statement previously on this thread, when I read them again, "current events" is not mentioned.  

Again, I don't think I imagined it because I was fairly surprised, since if we can't discuss current events, it wouldn't leave much to discuss.  Does anyone else recall reading that Monday morning? 

Hi kittymomNC!  I can't really say since I did not actually read the standards on Monday.  I did read the guidelines and some of the discussion on the thread that newsiesuzie started.  But I did not actually read the standards until last evening when I saw someone else mention it was against the standards to talk about current events.  I read them again today before I posted to make sure they had not changed and they appeared to be the same as they were yesterday.

Sorry I can't help more in that area.  That is all I know.  lol

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

You are right, some things haven't changed and will NEVER change.

Esteemed Contributor

Can we talk about the Pope's encyclical on climate change or is that off limits, too?

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

Give it a go, gardensla.