Esteemed Contributor

Re: Some S&H charges going up

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Trusted Contributor

@12andcounting wrote:

Two words for QVC - Amazon, ZAPPOS.   Love the FREE shipping.

If you really believe thry have "free:shipping, I have a bridge to sell you.

Both retailers (Zappos is an Amazon company) build their shiping charges into their base prices.  Amazon then requires minimum purchases or an annual fee to get the fee shipping (which only results in people pending even more money).

Shiping is not free; it cost money.  The only people who think that retailers give "free" shipping are people who cannot do math.

Honored Contributor

If I want a particular item, I check prices everywhere (unless it's exclusive to QVC).  If I find that item at another retailer for a lower price (or even the same) with free shipping then, yes, to me the S&H is free.

Some retailers have higher profit margins than others.

Give us a little credit for being able to do basic math.

Trusted Contributor

Funny this comes up today. Last night when looking at the PTR TSV they said the shipping was free on the FIRST of the shipments.  Also on another TSV just last week the auto delivery was free on first and charged on future shipments.  It may have been Nick Chavez  It caught me attention  because in the past-like on WEN or Philosophy or...-if the shipping is free on first delivery, it conitnues.  They have always made a point of that.  This new "policy" probably ties into what is happening today.

Guys, if they don't get their shipping charges out in the open, they wil just increase the price of the item they are selling.. Wanted the big VPH Santa the other day, but S&H was $24.97 so that ended that purchase.

Ultimately, someone has to pay the companies that transport the items.  But free S&H at the B&M stores is great!  Again, we get caught in the Easy Pay offered (no interest) and that is why so many people shop at the Q.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

The s/h charges on handbags and most shoes is especially ridiculous.  The other day I saw a D&B handbag presented and the s/h was $12.47.  They have got to be kidding! 

The other day, I was going to order 2 clothing items from Evine.  They were charging full s/h on each item so to ship 2 thinner t-shirt material tops, the s/h would have been $9.98.  I removed both items from my cart and they lost my entire order.

@Lipstickdiva

So if it just doesn't work for you (color, weight, stap length, etc.), you're out almost $20, just to try it. 

Smiley others 285.GIF

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

@12andcounting wrote:

Both retailers (Zappos is an Amazon company) build their shiping charges into their base prices.  Amazon then requires minimum purchases or an annual fee to get the fee shipping (which only results in people pending even more money).

Shiping is not free; it cost money.  The only people who think that retailers give "free" shipping are people who cannot do math.

In general you are correct about retailers that offer 'everyday' free shipping. But many retailers offer promotions on occasion, for short periods of time and the shipping is really free ( as in the cost of the item is the same during a free shipping event as it is any other day of the year). 

I have started to go directly to a number of Q vendors and buy from them, as they have their free shipping offers.

I've done this with Philosophy, L'Occitane, Peterboro Baskets (not with Q any longer), and several others.

Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

@12andcounting wrote:

And once again, if Purity cleanser is $35.00 at QVC plus s/h and $35.00 at Nordstrom with free s/h, how is the s/h built into the cost at Nordstrom?  If s/h is built into the cost, then you would be paying QVC for s/h twice because they are charging a separate s/h charge.  No matter how you look at it, the item is cheaper from Nordstrom.

I always do a quick internet search when I am going to purchase something and I buy from the cheapest site that is reputable.  I have bought shoes for over $40.00 cheaper on another site than what QVC was selling the exact shoes for and the other site offered free s/h.  The shoes were on clearance with them and Q was still charging full price.   

Respected Contributor

@KYToby - You're right, when s&h is "free" it's essentially included in the price.  I always compare bottom line to bottom line, and with the Q as with a couple of other places I used to purchase from more than I do now, they show the lowest price on the item, but then charge so much in their shipping that the total out the door price is no longer even competitive.

Honored Contributor

I like to go to Target and look around, but more and more often I order online.

Shipping is free, no matter how small the order, and using their Red Card to charge gives me an automatic 5% discount which adds up over a year.

Is it built into their overall charges for everyone?  Sure, but I'm still not paying directly for getting things sent to me and it's saving me the cost of gas and my time.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My daughter recently ordered a pair of Vionics sandals that were a tsv from QVC. They were described during the presentation to be "true to size". They weren't, she actually had to exchange and go down a size. That experience cost her $6.97 and was her first and last QVC shoes/clothes purchase. 

She is an Amazon Prime member who does use many of their features and feels that she gets her money's worth. She now orders her Vionics, among other things, from Amazon and gets free shipping and free returns, if necessary. There are a lot of places to shop and it's very competitive in the retail world. 

That being said, if you think QVC's shipping and return charges are high, it's quite a bargain compared to Evine.