Honored Contributor

I went to CVS yesterday, I had a question for the pharmacist. This man with his toddler daughter ( he was speaking I believe Russian to her) were up at the front of the store buying her candy. I walked to the back of the store and was waiting for the pharmacy to open. I'm standing on the consultation line, he was on the pickup line. He then asks me if I will be long, I said I don't know, he says I just have a question. He proceeds to ask if his medication is ready (it wasn't) I get my question answered, I then go on the pickup line. The man ahead of me witnessed what happened, he is taking longer than expected and says I'm sorry for keeping this nice woman waiting, I say it's okay. While we are on the subject of being ill manored, when I'm driving and no one is in back of me, why do you feel the need to turn right in front of me? I was raised right, I always say please and thank you, always hold the door open ( usually with no thank you), I just feel it is better to be kind than not. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Some People Have No Manners

Courtesy is always appreciated, and I love that you care about being kind. Still, we can always choose whether to see negatively or not. Kindness takes many forms. 

Esteemed Contributor

Last week at Walgreens I was in the drive up line to get my prescription and the woman 2 cars ahead of me refused to leave until her prescription was filled then and there. So we and 6 others cars had to wait for this woman while she demanded she get her script before she left. I finally drove around, parked and went into the store and was out and she was still waiting there holding up the line. 

Valued Contributor

It's sad that society has gotten so rude. Sometimes people also make snarky comments on the QVC blogs & forums. This should be a fun & happy place to comment.

What really scares me is when people tail gate or cut you off when driving. I try to drive safely. I usually stay in the right lane, I give plenty of notice I'm changing lanes or turning by putting my blinker on early. I don't go below the speed limit. I'm often 5 miles above it, yet people drive so fast around me. I often see people on their cell phones as they're driving. They sometimes have children in their cars, too. Two days ago someone near where I live didn't bother putting their 2 year old into a car seat. When they stopped at a stop light, the child opened the door & fell out. Thankfully they weren't driving when the toddler fell out.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the grocery store this week, a man around 30 asked if he could go in front of me.  He had maybe 10 items.  Ok, regular line, not express.  Sure, it’s ok, go ahead.  His coupon didn’t work, complained about a BOGO offer, there was a flaw in his peppers, back he went to produce to get another. I’m all for being kind, but why are you more important than the next person? Go to the express lane.  I guess it was my good deed, but, yes I was annoyed.  

In addition, I didn’t get a thank you.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, I agree about the lack of manners.  I do encounter people in stores who are polite and it is so nice to see.  But many are rude and obnoxious and they bring down the standards of good manners.

As far as driving, I see recklessness daily on the roads.  Tailgating, not paying attention, speeding, driving fast in the slow lane to avoid being stopped for speeding, illegal U-turns, just plain arrogance and stupidity.  Worst of all is they endanger others. 

To all those who practice good manners, I salute you!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thos 2 incidents at the Pharmacy should have been handled by the Pharmacy Staff. 

If they had enuff staff. I hear that the Pharmacies are seriously understaffed.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  I've seen a regional difference in good manners. This isn't a scientific study, just my observation. As I go south in the US, people seem to become more polite.

My DD lives just one hour south of PA in western Maryland, but even there the workers at the Weis grocery store are SO polite! The other shoppers are polite as well - almost to the point of giving me anxiety that I'm not polite enough. It's a bit of a culture shock for me each time I visit.

When we drive to Florida, we find very friendly and hospitable people all along the way. I know there are polite people everywhere, but there just seems to be such a culture of good manners in the southern part of the country.

Honored Contributor

In this world, if somebody desn't shoot me, beat me up, cuss me or spit on me, they get credit for manners.  Otherwise it is annoying.

The "Oh excuse me, please you first, I wouldn't think of it" ship sailed long ago. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

In this world, if somebody desn't shoot me, beat me up, cuss me or spit on me, they get credit for manners.  Otherwise it is annoying.

The "Oh excuse me, please you first, I wouldn't think of it" ship sailed long ago. 

Having lived and worked in Detroit, yep. It's a regional thing. 😉