Respected Contributor

Re: Some People Have A Lot of Nerve - Complaining About a Wedding Gift

@Preds wrote:

I'm sorry my gift offended you.  It was sent with love and since it was not received with love I will cancel it.  I will also cancel my relationship with you until you understand humanity and humility. 

Blessings to you and your family ... you're gonna' need it. Smiley Happy

I think that may have been my response ... on a good day.

LOL Preds! You are a WAY sweeter person than me. My response on any day good or bad would be.........I can't say or I'll be poofed but I bet you can guess.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Please be clear .... I'm NOT defending any greedy brides' tacky behavior.

Having said that ....  Back in the day, before the internet, when a young woman got engaged,  she ran out & bought a stack of bridal magazines and starting pouring over them with her mother.  It was low tech and (fairly) easy to stay within a budget.  Most people had never heard of a Wedding Planner, if they even existed at that time.  The Bride's parents paid for the whole thing ... most of the time.   You had to actually go visit florists, caterers, etc because no one had websites to compete with all the other companies in the "wedding business".

Fast Forward to current day .....  Not only are there websites for everything imagineable for weddings, but there are destination weddings, wedding planners, TV shows about dresses, showers, registries, etc etc etc ...  ad nauseum.  Couples often live together and sometimes pay for substantial amounts of the costs themselves.  Actual disposable income is a determining factor for many, but some actually take on debt to finance their big event!

With all that bombarding a bride to be, it's too easy to get caught up in wanting the Hollywood Extravaganza Wedding.   It's all around us.  

It could also be argued that if you want to have a Big Party sometime in your life, when better to have one than when you're getting married?     I guess when people pour in a LOT of money into a wedding, they're hoping for a big return on gifts.    I don't condone it, but I can see how people get caught up in all that hoopla.

Personally, I eloped .....  and I highly recommend it.     

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Having said that ....  Back in the day, before the internet, when a young woman got engaged,  she ran out & bought a stack of bridal magazines and starting pouring over them with her mother.  It was low tech and (fairly) easy to stay within a budget.  Most people had never heard of a Wedding Planner, if they even existed at that time.  The Bride's parents paid for the whole thing ... most of the time.   You had to actually go visit florists, caterers, etc because no one had websites to compete with all the other companies in the "wedding business".

Fast Forward to current day .....  Not only are there websites for everything imagineable for weddings, but there are destination weddings, wedding planners, TV shows about dresses, showers, registries, etc etc etc ...  ad nauseum.  Couples often live together and sometimes pay for substantial amounts of the costs themselves.  Actual disposable income is a determining factor for many, but some actually take on debt to finance their big event!

With all that bombarding a bride to be, it's too easy to get caught up in wanting the Hollywood Extravaganza Wedding.   It's all around us.  

It could also be argued that if you want to have a Big Party sometime in your life, when better to have one than when you're getting married?     I guess when people pour in a LOT of money into a wedding, they're hoping for a big return on gifts.    I don't condone it, but I can see how people get caught up in all that hoopla.

The Bride now EXPECTS it and that's what I find so deplorable.  Gearing up for a $100k event and the gifts better be good enough to make that expense worth it...... 

You are right in that the internet competition is fierce, along with TV shows with the Bridezilla buying gowns the family can't afford, etc. coupled with the incredible attitude of the bride that utterly expects it ALL.... I often wonder what came first, the chicken or the egg....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

The Bride now EXPECTS it and that's what I find so deplorable.  Gearing up for a $100k event and the gifts better be good enough to make that expense worth it...... 

You are right in that the internet competition is fierce, along with TV shows with the Bridezilla buying gowns the family can't afford, etc. coupled with the incredible attitude of the bride that utterly expects it ALL.... I often wonder what came first, the chicken or the egg....  

No not all Brides expect it. My daughter is not expecting it nor does she feel the need to top her friends weddings. She already has a furnished home and appliances that she and her fiance have worked hard for and saved for. No destination wedding. They just want to have a party with friends and family and to celebrate their lives together. I raised a smart child. She would rather put money towards her future instead of giving it to a wedding planner etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What do y'all think about leaving this for my boss today?  I figure if it works across the pond, I'd give it a go.  Smiley Wink

“I was surprised to see that your contribution to my bi-weekly lifestyle doesn’t seem to match the warmth or sincerity of my professional daily efforts. In view of your position and the company’s financial outlook, if you wanted to add any additional monies going forward to show further appreciation of my efforts, it would be gratefully received.”

Feel free to copy and paste for your own paycheck purposes.  Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

I'm speechless.  I have never heard of anything more tacky and greedy and classless.  I would have wrote note back saying that If my generous gift which was sent will love and good wishes is not enough, please feel free to return the check and I will donate that amount to charity of my choosing in your name. 

Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

I'm sorry my gift offended you.  It was sent with love and since it was not received with love I will cancel it.  I will also cancel my relationship with you until you understand humanity and humility. 

Blessings to you and your family ... you're gonna' need it. Smiley Happy

I think that may have been my response ... on a good day.

@PredsAbsolutely well done!

Respected Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

No, "all brides" do not expect it. I know lots of couples who have had very costly weddings. They or their parents paid for everything and did not expect to defray or recoup their expenses from their guests.