Honored Contributor

Re: Some People Are Just So Ungrateful

@Sage04 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs  what you should do is apply for unemployment and that goes along with the $600. There is no money coming into your business. Today I also checked with someone else about getting unemployment if someone hasnt paid into it and she gave ne the same answer  my sister did. Try it and see what happens.

Self employed people do not qualify for unemployment benefits.  They do not contribute to the unemployment taxes.

From what I read,  self employed people who can't work are eligible for the $600 CARES benefit.  Every state has a different way to apply for this.  @Mom2Dogs   What state you you live in?

I can try to find out what you need to do to apply.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie   We are in Ohio...I am finding all the information so confusing...I didn't think we were so 'stupid'..but reading the guide lines makes my head spin...I now feel even worse for the business owners that have emplyees to pay, and worry about...their head has to be spinning...thanks

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie  my sister and her son have already received conformation and the amount they will receive. We live in Georgia but I believe the other States would do the same.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   It looks like Ohio is behind.  You Unfortunately will have to wait until they have something in place to apply for it.  I found the following for you.

Keep checking so you don't miss out in this money.

700C2F93-0A6F-4A55-BC2F-1BCD2B1F3F3F.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie  what I don´t understand is why some States are so far ahead, while others are behind. It´s not fair but like I´ve heard, nothing is fair.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie   Thank you so much for that information.  I guess we will wait and see what the State comes up with for us...again, my DH and I really appreciate your efforts.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie   Can you tell me what government site you found that information.  I have a friend in the same boat and will refer him to that information...again, thank you so much.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Carmie   Can you tell me what government site you found that information.  I have a friend in the same boat and will refer him to that information...again, thank you so much.

I went back and tried to find it.  I copied the information printed in the Lima, Ohio News from their website.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Found more info on this news site..

(WTOL11) Ohio unemployment: Can I receive benefits if I'm self-employed?

The short answer is: not yet. New federal programs have been created, but states are still working to get them up and running.

https://www.wtol.com/article/news/state/ohio-unemployment-can-i-apply-for-benefits-if-i-am-self-empl...

Also this..Why the delay?

The CARES Act came together quickly, moving from idea to law in less than a week, leaving little time for states to adapt. State officials also needed guidance from the U.S. Department of Labor on how to implement various pieces of the emergency legislation.

Every state operates its own unemployment insurance program rules, processes and even the technology used to process claims varies by state. Opening up benefits to people typically not eligible requires more than a few keystrokes. In some cases, states need to build an entirely new system to accept these claims. That takes time under normal circumstances, and the current situation is anything but normal.

We are in a time of unprecedented and historic number of unemployment claims that began almost overnight, and we are working hard to try and stay ahead of the curve. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everybody has the right to complain when something is bothering them.

As Thoreau famously said, "The Mass of Men Lead Lives of Quiet Desperation"

Many people have had their lives worsen due to the Covid virus, some in tragic ways.

However, not all.

I was speaking on the phone with an acquaintance who laughed and said that she is benefiting from the virus.

She is on disability payments, food stamps, housing assistance, utility assistance, Medicaid with no copays at all for anything, etc. etc. etc. due to obesity.

She said that she has been getting offers for all kind of extra help locally as well as the government stimulus check and a state increase in food stamps.

She laughed because she said she hasn't been out a single cent, has probably saved a lot by staying home and not running around shopping (yes, she is still totally mobile) yet is benefiting greatly.

Two sides to the coin.