Honored Contributor

Re: Some People Are Just So Ungrateful

@Sage04   thank you.  We will check with our local bank.

If we can get back to work in May, we will not apply, but if not, we will have to have monthly operating expenses....and we were having such a good year!

Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Sage04 

In NY unemployment is 50% of your salary up to a certain which I am not sure of, it you make 500 a week, you will not get 600 you will get 250 per week

@I am still oxox I went and figured this out. If you make 500 a week in NY your unemployment would be 230. Plus 600 so you end up with 830 currently.

So lower levels will make more money on unemployment and you don't start losing money with this plan until you surpass a regular salary of over $1000 a week.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pigletsmom  I did nt realize that it was an addtional 600 per week, wow some might not want to return to work 

@pigletsmom wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Sage04 

In NY unemployment is 50% of your salary up to a certain which I am not sure of, it you make 500 a week, you will not get 600 you will get 250 per week

@I am still oxox I went and figured this out. If you make 500 a week in NY your unemployment would be 230. Plus 600 so you end up with 830 currently.

So lower levels will make more money on unemployment and you don't start losing money with this plan until you surpass a regular salary of over $1000 a week.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox  yes everyone gets an extra $600 per week. That would really help those in a low income bracket. Could you imagine if someone was only receiving 230 a week from unemployment? Wow.

My nephew will be getting the max from unemployment here in Georgia which is 365 a week and he´s happy to ne getting the extra 600 per week.

Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox Yup. I mostly just got curious about what exactly the NY formula was and they happened to have a calculator. I understand why they did the extra 600 but of course as with anything in the government and especially quickly done. unintended consequences will follow. 

Trusted Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

I understand their POV.  I am still essential and grateful but I have coworkers who were furloughed with full pay for 60 days plus the extra $600 from the government plus the stimulus checks.  They are making more money now than those of us doing their jobs, our jobs, and several others while in some cases having our paychecks docked a certain percentage while we do it.  It would have probably been fairer to rotate the layoffs financially speaking but I understand what you are saying.

It's just sometimes those few hours are not worth the gas and stress and unemployment is a lot more lucrative.

How can they be furloughed and get full pay?  What's the point?

@Peaches McPhee  She may have misspoken. I think with furlough you still have health insurance but not pay.  @Laura14 

@esmerelda I believe unemployment is your full pay under the stimulus bill plus $600 plus the stimulus check.  And health insurance only continues if you pay the full premium yourself.

@Laura14 I think you are incorrect. The extra $600 is to make up for unemployment being less than full pay and the time to receive benefits has been extended I think.  

If interested you can see more at foley dot com. The article is The Unemployment Benefit as Defined by the CARES Act. 

You are right.

People do not receive their full pay while on Unemployment benefits.

The additional $600 in pay (and how that is paid out) is part of the CARES Act/Corona Relief Fund.

Benefit pay will be extended for an additional period of time. If I am not mistaken, I think it will be for an additonal four months.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I can understand why some people who are still working, putting their health on the line during COVID 19 would be resentful of those who are sitting at home watching TV all day.

I might be resentful too.

Here's why in this example

Married couple with two children.  Both are furloughed until it is safe to go back to work.  Both collect unemployment benefits. Also collect stimulus money, plus  $600 a week from the Feds for being unemployed.

John makes $20 an hour...works 40 hrs a week  = $800

Mary makes  $25 an hour...works 40 hrs a week = $1000

Total weekely income is $1800

On unemployement they get about half, give or take $900

Also an additional $600 a week each from the Feds  $1200

So, on unemployment they make $300 more a week.

That is $1200 a month more than if they were working.

And they would get stimulus money $3400

So, being unemployed for only one month of April they would get

$3400  Stimulus

$3600  Unemployment

$4800  Fed govt money

----------

Total for the month $11,800

Now if John and Mary were both still working, they would get

$7200 a month in earnings

$3400 stimulus

----------

Total for month $10,600

For the month of May without the stimulus

Mary and John who are still not working would make $8400

Mary and John who are still working would make $7200

I would think many people would not be grateful to be at work and get $1200 less month than if they were furloughed and sitting at home enjoying their kids and watching TV.

It depends on the state, but in general, Unemployment benefit payments are not all that much compared to what a person is used to making in terms of income from their job.

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@corita wrote:

So I think there is plenty of 'why me' going around...those working in a work location, those working at home and those not working at all...what ever the reason.  And I feel for all!!!

But my biggest concern is how are all virus related funds going to be paid back??  This country will be in debt doodoo for the next hundred years!!

@corita 

Long before this virus started we had added a 3 Trillion Dollar deficit, highest Ever.

--------------

I know and it just keeps getting higher and higher!  But am really glad that there is some sort of funding - even borrowing - for those in need. Such a dilemma!

I really do think that much of that money donated to 

other countries needs to be brought back to this help country!!!

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Porcelain Good news here is GA has waived the looking for work requirement for a few months.  

This is good news. Smiley Happy

I really hope and pray that everything will turn around for everyone, soon enough. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Could it be that these people are afraid of getting this virus? My dh is still working too. I am grateful for his job.

I am also terrified he will get coronavirus, as 2 at least people in his building but not his floor has tested positive. 

So, I am griping about his job too. He could work from home and plans are in the works for him to be able to so in the next few weeks. Praying he doesn't get sick.