Honored Contributor

Re: Some People Are Just So Ungrateful

@Carmie wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@bikerbabe wrote:
Getting unemployment is no picnic. I heard of millions of people making hundreds of phone calls trying to get through - nothing but busy signals. Unemployment offices are overwhelmed with applications and understaffed. There are a lot of people who have been unemployed now for weeks and still can’t get their unemployment applications processed. Heaven for bid you have a hiccup in your application. And heaven forbid you have a hiccup in your application and need to appeal it. Or you could stand in line for hours and hours with a crowd of people at the local office, only to be told by unemployment staff that they don’t know or understand how the new benefits work.

My niece is trying to apply and if she's able to get through, spends time on hold waiting her turn, gets a person that asks for her social security number and then gets hung up on. 

I wonder why they are not applying on line.  Here in PA, you don't have to make phone calls or stand in line.  You fil out the application on line and they send you an e-mail saying your app was received.  Then they send a letter in the mail  with a pin #.

You go back into the on line app and type in you SS and pin # and make a claim.  They are running behind, but not by that much.

I have applied for my son and his friend who can only access the Internet with their phones.  It was easier for me to fill out the apps with my IPad.

@Carmie  she didn't have that option.  She had to phone it in. 

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 This reminds me of my cousin who is a parole officer.  One of her parolees said it is easier to take it than make it.  I guess there are some who have never been made humble and kind in this world, what will it take for them to see?  

Occasional Contributor

Wow. I have been reading these boards for quite awhile now but this is the first post that has inspired me to reply. My husband has been furloughed from his job in travel and I lost my job in retail due to covid 19. The extra $600 a week will still not cover our salaries and, being in Florida, we have not seen a dime after filing 3 weeks ago. We are consumed with worry for our family's future and there are no guarantees that my husband's job will still be there after this is all over. I have to ask what inspired you to write to your congressmen to complain about extra aid for people who have lost jobs through no fault of their own? Seems very cold and heartless.

Valued Contributor

@Carmie  I like the idea of the "essential workers" being recognized somehow. I envision a box to check on next year's tax return that says "click if you'd like $5 of your refund to go to....." and then maybe a list of the essential workers fund categories. 

Even better if the government would match every $5 private citizen donation. 

(I know I know....dream big little girl) Smiley Happy

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Occasional Contributor

I was replying to @Mom2Dogs .

Sorry still trying to get the hang of this.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Laura14 

Unemployment is about 1/2 your salary with a cap of $600, per week in NY it is now where near full weekly pay

@Laura14 wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

I understand their POV.  I am still essential and grateful but I have coworkers who were furloughed with full pay for 60 days plus the extra $600 from the government plus the stimulus checks.  They are making more money now than those of us doing their jobs, our jobs, and several others while in some cases having our paychecks docked a certain percentage while we do it.  It would have probably been fairer to rotate the layoffs financially speaking but I understand what you are saying.

It's just sometimes those few hours are not worth the gas and stress and unemployment is a lot more lucrative.

How can they be furloughed and get full pay?  What's the point?

@Peaches McPhee  She may have misspoken. I think with furlough you still have health insurance but not pay.  @Laura14 

@esmerelda I believe unemployment is your full pay under the stimulus bill plus $600 plus the stimulus check.  And health insurance only continues if you pay the full premium yourself.

It's really bad in Florida. People can't even apply on their website. They are having to stand in line and get paper forms. And once they apply and qualify, the cap is really really low. No one on unemployment can afford COBRA insurance.

@Porcelain, I saw this the other day on the news.  People were on top of each other, pushing and shoving trying to get the paperwork. No social distancing at all.  I think they tried to get it more under control the next day. 

Honored Contributor

@Kellyanne1   I am so sorry you are in this position. I hope your money is sent soon.  You should  be getting $600 a week extra from the Federal Government for each of you if you're both on unemployment, plus your regular state unemployment benefits from Florida.

I hope you both have a job waiting to go back to.  This is a mess I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Take care.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  my sister has a small business and she applied for unemployment and she will be getting her check this week. I forgot the date. In fact, her son also works with her and he also will be getting his check. They both applied aroubng the end of March and they told them the amount they will be getting.

Respected Contributor

Presented without comment, as reported by CNBC:

Treasury Secretary Stephen Mnuchin acknowledged “it’s not a perfect system” but that it’s one borne out of necessity.

State unemployment offices have 35-year old computer systems, and a more complicated unemployment formula would have taken months to correct, Mnuchin told Fox News host Sean Hannity yesterday.

“The simplest way, and the fairest way, was $600 per person. In certain states that might be a little bit too much money. In other states it’s less money,” he said. “But the president’s objective was to make sure you get money in people’s hands.”

Some experts are also skeptical workers would be able to collect benefits if they quit, which is typically prohibited.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@SunSprite wrote:

@Carmie  Not bad, unless your state has a cap on how much they will pay you in unemployment. Google search shows Georgia is similar to some other southern states; they cap at $330 per week. 

So the most John and Mary can collect now becomes $660 per week; plus the $1200 (2  x $600 extra from the Feds). That puts them at $1860 per week---provided they meet the formula to get Georgia's max of $330 per week. That benefit will currently last them 14 weeks; not sure about timeline for extra from federal government.

I'd also be leery of depending on that federal money and how fast it will actually get in their pocket, but that's a subject for another thread. 

That is very true, good catch on your part.  Some states will pay more or less in unemployment benefits and some do have a max that can be paid weekly.

The $600 is already being sent out in some states.

The $600 can be collected through the end of July.  I hope everyone is back to work by then.

Anyhow you look at this, for some people, they are better off financially by not working.

I read that there could possible be a "bonus" coming to essential workers.  I think they deserve it.  I appreciate all of their hard work and dedication. They are keeping our country afloat in a high risk situation.

@Carmie  IMO they're doing their jobs. Like they always do. And they're being paid for it.  I appreciate their hard work too. If there are some you know that you'd like to show appreciation, go ahead and give them a bonus. I don't believe in borrowing money for gifts. 

Keepin' it real.