Honored Contributor

Re: Some People Are Just So Ungrateful

@Porcelain wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Porcelain John and Mary are taking care of their own kids. Their debts (their problem) as well as any student loans have been lowered or deferred for awhile (if they found time while at home not working to call and make the requests). 

Anyone who has a problem with the money flowing freely, take it up with Congress. They have no skin in the game, except...um...let's call it endearing themselves to their constituents. And I can't think of a reason why they won't be getting a "stimulus check" too. They're still taxpayers after all. 

The people who will make out best are the bank of china and/or those who manufacture the ink and paper used to print money.  Bring it on.  Milk will be $6 a gallon instead of $3 when this is over. 

Well I saw John and Mary's kids running around not social distancing. I don't think they're homeschooling properly. And John has a gambling problem. Mary is ready to divorce him, and her online lover is three states away and is trying to get her to make the move. But he doesn't like kids. Mary doesn't want to leave the kids with John because he would be even worse at the homeschooling modules, being unable to spell due to his engineering degree.

Well, I was following along with your scenario, @Porcelain, but the engineers in my family all spell well 😂

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Porcelain John and Mary are taking care of their own kids. Their debts (their problem) as well as any student loans have been lowered or deferred for awhile (if they found time while at home not working to call and make the requests). 

Anyone who has a problem with the money flowing freely, take it up with Congress. They have no skin in the game, except...um...let's call it endearing themselves to their constituents. And I can't think of a reason why they won't be getting a "stimulus check" too. They're still taxpayers after all. 

The people who will make out best are the bank of china and/or those who manufacture the ink and paper used to print money.  Bring it on.  Milk will be $6 a gallon instead of $3 when this is over. 

Well I saw John and Mary's kids running around not social distancing. I don't think they're homeschooling properly. And John has a gambling problem. Mary is ready to divorce him, and her online lover is three states away and is trying to get her to make the move. But he doesn't like kids. Mary doesn't want to leave the kids with John because he would be even worse at the homeschooling modules, being unable to spell due to his engineering degree.

Well, I was following along with your scenario, @Porcelain, but the engineers in my family all spell well 😂

I knew there was some incorrect assumption in there that made it all fall apart. Well spotted! lol Woman Wink

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@tansy wrote:

Is anyone as concerned with corporate bailouts as they are for help to small businesses and individuals?  

@tansy 

Raising paw!

Much more, actually.

I'm bothered by the petty assuming attititude some have towards individuals.  But I'm not surprised to see it here

Both corporations and small businesses have a place and employ people.  Big corporations sometimes have more benefits. Some don't

You cannot make any generalizations about how beneficial or worthy a business is by simply saying "corporate" or "small business."  

I do know personally some very worthy small business people.

People who really need the help in order to not go under.

Esteemed Contributor

So I think there is plenty of 'why me' going around...those working in a work location, those working at home and those not working at all...what ever the reason.  And I feel for all!!!

But my biggest concern is how are all virus related funds going to be paid back??  This country will be in debt doodoo for the next hundred years!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Porcelain  Thanks for the laugh! 😂

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain   My post does not mention anything thing about John and Mary's Personal Business, bills or finances and frankly, it doesn't make any difference.  I did not imply or state that anyone was lazy.  

I was only pointing out the bottom line and why some people are not grateful to be working.

Minimum wage?   You are so out of touch.  All 50 states have a mininum wage under the $20 and $25 wage per hour in the example I have given.

Stick to the facts and try not read into anything else in to it.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SunSprite wrote:

@Carmie  Not bad, unless your state has a cap on how much they will pay you in unemployment. Google search shows Georgia is similar to some other southern states; they cap at $330 per week. 

So the most John and Mary can collect now becomes $660 per week; plus the $1200 (2  x $600 extra from the Feds). That puts them at $1860 per week---provided they meet the formula to get Georgia's max of $330 per week. That benefit will currently last them 14 weeks; not sure about timeline for extra from federal government.

I'd also be leery of depending on that federal money and how fast it will actually get in their pocket, but that's a subject for another thread. 

That is very true, good catch on your part.  Some states will pay more or less in unemployment benefits and some do have a max that can be paid weekly.

The $600 is already being sent out in some states.

The $600 can be collected through the end of July.  I hope everyone is back to work by then.

Anyhow you look at this, for some people, they are better off financially by not working.

I read that there could possible be a "bonus" coming to essential workers.  I think they deserve it.  I appreciate all of their hard work and dedication. They are keeping our country afloat in a high risk situation.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@bikerbabe wrote:
Getting unemployment is no picnic. I heard of millions of people making hundreds of phone calls trying to get through - nothing but busy signals. Unemployment offices are overwhelmed with applications and understaffed. There are a lot of people who have been unemployed now for weeks and still can’t get their unemployment applications processed. Heaven for bid you have a hiccup in your application. And heaven forbid you have a hiccup in your application and need to appeal it. Or you could stand in line for hours and hours with a crowd of people at the local office, only to be told by unemployment staff that they don’t know or understand how the new benefits work.

My niece is trying to apply and if she's able to get through, spends time on hold waiting her turn, gets a person that asks for her social security number and then gets hung up on. 

I wonder why they are not applying on line.  Here in PA, you don't have to make phone calls or stand in line.  You fil out the application on line and they send you an e-mail saying your app was received.  Then they send a letter in the mail  with a pin #.

You go back into the on line app and type in you SS and pin # and make a claim.  They are running behind, but not by that much.

I have applied for my son and his friend who can only access the Internet with their phones.  It was easier for me to fill out the apps with my IPad.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I can understand why some people who are still working, putting their health on the line during COVID 19 would be resentful of those who are sitting at home watching TV all day.

I might be resentful too.

Here's why in this example

Married couple with two children.  Both are furloughed until it is safe to go back to work.  Both collect unemployment benefits. Also collect stimulus money, plus  $600 a week from the Feds for being unemployed.

John makes $20 an hour...works 40 hrs a week  = $800

Mary makes  $25 an hour...works 40 hrs a week = $1000

Total weekely income is $1800

On unemployement they get about half, give or take $900

Also an additional $600 a week each from the Feds  $1200

So, on unemployment they make $300 more a week.

That is $1200 a month more than if they were working.

And they would get stimulus money $3400

So, being unemployed for only one month of April they would get

$3400  Stimulus

$3600  Unemployment

$4800  Fed govt money

----------

Total for the month $11,800

Now if John and Mary were both still working, they would get

$7200 a month in earnings

$3400 stimulus

----------

Total for month $10,600

For the month of May without the stimulus

Mary and John who are still not working would make $8400

Mary and John who are still working would make $7200

I would think many people would not be grateful to be at work and get $1200 less month than if they were furloughed and sitting at home enjoying their kids and watching TV.

The thing about being resentful is who are you going to resent?  The unemployed never asked for it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie

Many are having trouble with the online unemployment sites crashing during the application process - too high volume traffic. I expect some working poor also don’t have internet. But, mainly it’s an issue of many states having old IT systems and can’t handle this massive volume of traffic.