Esteemed Contributor

Some People Are Just So Ungrateful

I am an essential employee.

The days that I actually have to report to work have been cut, but I'm still earning a paycheck, for which I am very thankful for.

Here's the thing though.

My co-workers, including one supervisor, still whine about having to work a few hours each week!

They don't realize just how lucky they are to even have a job!

They don't consider that there are people who would love to have a job, any job right now.

I should have reminded them of that, but I didn't think to at that moment.

As I said, some people are just so ungrateful.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: Some People Are Just So Ungrateful

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

The days that I actually have to report to work have been cut, but I'm still earning a paycheck, for which I am very thankful for.

Here's the thing though.

My co-workers, including one supervisor, still whine about having to work a few hours each week!

They don't consider that there are people who would love to have a job, any job right now.

@Anonymous032819   Could it be if they didn't work at all, they'd prefer a larger unemployment check? Yes, ungrateful, for sure.

Honored Contributor

I understand their POV.  I am still essential and grateful but I have coworkers who were furloughed with full pay for 60 days plus the extra $600 from the government plus the stimulus checks.  They are making more money now than those of us doing their jobs, our jobs, and several others while in some cases having our paychecks docked a certain percentage while we do it.  It would have probably been fairer to rotate the layoffs financially speaking but I understand what you are saying.

It's just sometimes those few hours are not worth the gas and stress and unemployment is a lot more lucrative.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Here's the thing though.

@Anonymous032819   Could it be if they didn't work at all, they'd prefer a larger unemployment check? Yes, ungrateful, for sure.

That is the problem...you can make more money on unemployment, while those with a SMALL business are sitting on our hands waiting for things to open up.  Congress dropped the ball on the extra income they gave out.

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819  different people react in different ways. Heck even a single person reacts in various ways. What does this person's complaining have to do with you? I'm pretty sure they are dealing with what's happening the same way we all are, the best they can. It's easy and lazy to complain about others without a plan and solution to help them and ourselves. Complaints are just flapping one's gums together for no constructive purpose.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819-----thank you for being out there for all of us------I try really hard to make sure the essential people I deal with, know I am grateful for what they are  doing right now------and yes---there are many ungrateful people in the world that take everything for granted. like they are entitled to it automatically for some reason-- one thing I am doing is STAYING HOME, to help protect the essential workers!!! Please take care of yourself !!

Honored Contributor

Wow.  Is it about how to make a buck or how to have a job and a home and food?  We dole out all this money 365 because often it is more lucrative to have a free phone and not work.

But is that where one feels good about themselves and makes the world a better place while we are on this planet?  When did being productive lose it's value and merit?

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Here's the thing though.

I think they are a little jealous that people are getting an extra 600.00 a week to not work. yes, I know its not their choice, however, when you have to work, put yourself at risk, and might not even make as much as people sitting at home, its probally a little hard to swallow. I am not saying anything about people collecting, so don't reply to that, just putting thiss thought out there

Respected Contributor

Are they whining about working or are they "whining" about having to leave their homes to work?

I'm working 5 days a week, 8-10 hours a day, but I am working from home where I am safe and I am grateful that I have a job that allows me to do so.

If I had to work even a few hours a week outside my home where I would be exposed to the coronavirus, I would be very scared because I have asthma and hypertension, putting me in a high-risk category for hospitalization if I were to get COVID-19.

So before I hop on the "whiner" bandwagon, where are all of you working, from home or somewhere else?

Esteemed Contributor

This is a time when the best and the worst of humanity come out. On the one hand we have devoted health care workers risking their lives to care for others. On the other hand we have spring break beach-goers and religious church-goers acting as if they do not have to follow anyone else's rules. We are all in this together has never had more meaning than now. I am in touch with friends in Holland and in France, trying to do all we can to erase this virus from the face of the earth. It will take all of us, in cooperation, to overcome this viral menace.