Honored Contributor

Some Bahama Islands being wiped off the map...literally!

[ Edited ]

Sure, there have been other islands that have been obliterated over the past few years by Hurricanes and it has been such a loss.

However, this Hurricane Dorain is certainly raising all sorts of records. I have been watching the hourly updates of Dorian's movement and it has either moved an average of 1 mph or remained stationary for nearly an entire day now.

Can you imagine for a moment if you were on that specific island and surrounding area that hasn't let up from the worst of the storm for that long...AND let me add the tiny bit of the winds being between 185 (even now only down graded to 145 mph)?!

A few hours ago they showed a video from a guy on the 2nd or 3rd floor of an apt building (that's what it looked like) and he described and showed the water around him on the other side of the glass windows/doors.

That reminded me of the horrific images from the Indian Ocean Tsunami in 2004 near Sumatra...or Hurricane Katrina.

Since Dorian is STILL stationary over/near Freeport, my G-O-D...I can't even imagine HOW much longer before this monster starts moving away fast enough for those folks to even breath a sigh of relief. I pray it is VERY soon before folks start dying due to buildings collasping under the water pressure for so long!

Praying for those in the Bahamas.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bahamas being wiped off the map...literally!

@Susan Louise -

I was thinking of the tsunami too.

This is horrible! 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

Re: Bahamas being wiped off the map...literally!

[ Edited ]

The Bahamas covers a wide area. I was looking at the live cams in Nassau, and was confused that, though it was raining, there was mild wind. Then I discovered checking a  map that Abaco Island and Freeport are over 100 miles away. So Nassau is luckily not getting much of the storm. I feel for the rest of the area getting pounded so hard. Seems they will need a lot of help once this is over.

Valued Contributor

Re: Some Bahama Islands being wiped off the map...literally!

I heard one weather reporter saying for a comparison imagine being in an EF4 tornado for 24-30 hours.  Very sad the loss of lives and the total destruction and loss of homes & businesses that people worked so hard for.

Super Contributor

As beautiful as all the islands are and also Florida and up the cost from there, I truly don't think I could live in those areas with the threat of hurricanes each year. My prayers and well wishes go out to all the people who are In Dorian's path right now. 

Highlighted
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]
  • Horrible.that is a major risk on living on an island, whether it be Hawaii, Bahamas, or any other island. No where to escape to. Been watching all day on and off. Unimaginable destruction.
Honored Contributor

It's beyond belief how horrific this is.

I heard someone on the weather channel saying it was like being stuck inside a washing machine that never stopped.  

Honored Contributor

Shewarrior, my longtime neighbors here in the midwest are moving to S Carolina on its east coast tomorrow. Or were supposed to . All their stuff is in a moving van that picked it up Sat. But the moving company won't let the movers drive it down due to possibly being caught up in the hurricane. My neighbors who lived on my street for almost 40 yrs had picked now to move! Everything is all on the truck and they are in a hotel...indefinitely. I told them this will all work out and eventually be just a story for them to tell but for now they are all freaked out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The latest update is that the winds have been down graded once more to 140 mph...AND STILL STATIONARY...no movement whatsoever!

If I was in/near Freeport right now I'd think the world was coming to an end...

That is absolute madness...there are just no words.

QVC Customer Care