Contributor

Re: Solid sterling silver flatware and selling it

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

Sterling silver depends somewhat on the pattern you are trying to sell and the pieces.  If some of the pieces are rare and in a popular pattern they will go for WAY beyond the scrap silver price.  Of course the heavier and more intricate patterns sell for more.

Sometimes you can get more for sets or groups, sometimes not.  It depends a lot on the condition.  If you are going to sell on ebay get great pictures if you can, be sure to show the backstamp or maker's mark of all.  Weight the pieces if possible. and POLISH THEM WITH A GOOD SILVER POLISH LIKE HAGERTY.  It isn't hard, but it will increase a lot.  DO NOT put it on aluminum foil and clean it that way, because you don't want to take the tarnish out of the intricate patterns in the pieces.

It is a shame to sell good pieces for scrap because they are works of art and have value for their beauty.  I ihate to see it melted down.

If you have more questions, ask.  A lot of us have experience with this sort of thing.

You are absolutely correct.

I signed up just to agree with your post.

Certain patterns made by particular silver houses are extremely valuable and collectors will pay top dollar for them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Sterling silver depends somewhat on the pattern you are trying to sell and the pieces.  If some of the pieces are rare and in a popular pattern they will go for WAY beyond the scrap silver price.  Of course the heavier and more intricate patterns sell for more.

Sometimes you can get more for sets or groups, sometimes not.  It depends a lot on the condition.  If you are going to sell on ebay get great pictures if you can, be sure to show the backstamp or maker's mark of all.  Weight the pieces if possible. and POLISH THEM WITH A GOOD SILVER POLISH LIKE HAGERTY.  It isn't hard, but it will increase a lot.  DO NOT put it on aluminum foil and clean it that way, because you don't want to take the tarnish out of the intricate patterns in the pieces.

It is a shame to sell good pieces for scrap because they are works of art and have value for their beauty.  I ihate to see it melted down.

If you have more questions, ask.  A lot of us have experience with this sort of thing.

@Sooner@, my MIL had a large silver bowl with ornate decorations around the rim. I had it appraised for her @ $5000.  She passed away and my BIL was using it and cleaned it with steel wool.  What a shame.  He didn't know it was real silver.  Totally scratched.  What a shame.  LM

Honored Contributor

Also a monogram isn't always a bad thing. I have many pieces I've bought just because it had a beautiful mono.  Some I can't even decipher but they are beautiful and hand done!  Also, there are certain monos I buy because of family names.  

Please don't just discount the value of any silver piece, as there are many out there who buy.  Miy wedding set is not a popular pattern and is rather rare--it is very modern.  So I'm always on the lookout for pieces of it.  My other pattern is very popular, but I usually have to pay less for it than the "oddball" one!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner@, my MIL had a large silver bowl with ornate decorations around the rim. I had it appraised for her @ $5000.  She passed away and my BIL was using it and cleaned it with steel wool.  What a shame.  He didn't know it was real silver.  Totally scratched.  What a shame.  LM

I have to sit down over that one.  OH my goodness!!!  BUT, I think that probably could be polished out.  I know replacements does it, and there are also other people who do work like that.  Even a local jeweler might help.  They might be able to buff them out--worth a try!!!  I also know sometimes people will plate over real sterling if a piece has some damage. . . I can tell because they look too prestine to be old (I am old and have looked at a LOT of silver).  The antique dealer said yes, they do that to make them more perfect, and she said they DO sell well. You never know.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Lilysmom  I agree with Sooner.  I think the scratches could be buffed out.  I would take it to a nice jewelry store and see if they had any recommendations as to where to take it.  That's just awful that that happened.  I'm surprised he didn't stop as soon as he realized he was scratching it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nicknack wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Lilysmom  I agree with Sooner.  I think the scratches could be buffed out.  I would take it to a nice jewelry store and see if they had any recommendations as to where to take it.  That's just awful that that happened.  I'm surprised he didn't stop as soon as he realized he was scratching it.

@NickNack, @Sooner, thanks for that.  I will tell him.  It should be done, it is such a nice piece.  LM

Honored Contributor

IMO - people no longer care to own labor intensive items like silver flatware. Working Moms just don't have the time or desire to care for sterling silver.  For this reason it has only a % of the value it once had.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

IMO - people no longer care to own labor intensive items like silver flatware. Working Moms just don't have the time or desire to care for sterling silver.  For this reason it has only a % of the value it once had.

People don't seem to entertain like they used to.  If they do it isn't with good china and sterling flatware.  Probably why these relic's of the past are not wanted by those who are gifted them when grandma or mother passes.

My mother bought us gold plate flatwear and I rarely used them but still have the set.  While beautiful, I always got odd comments by those who used them when we set them out for dinner parties.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting this.  I have four daughters and they want NOTHING.  They say they have no use for my crystal, or my china or my sterling silver flatware.  I will look into some of the suggestions.  Being in a rural area I might have to pass over the local auction houses.  We have many but they never seem to bring the big bucks per item in.  

Honored Contributor

I will never sell my beautiful crystal and silver - when my neices and nephews inherit them they can sell them or whatever.