Honored Contributor

Solid sterling silver flatware and selling it

Has anyone ever  done that? Looking on e-bay the price is about $3,000. 

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Solid sterling silver flatware and selling it

I have seen sterling flatware at our upscale consignment shops.

Respected Contributor

Believe it or not my family had a set that we sold to an Art Fair vendor who used the set to make rings, other jewelry and wind chimes! There was a sign up in the booth so we chatted and arranged a cash deal. Sa-weet! And easy.

We felt he gave us a fair price and we liked that it would be re-purposed well!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

Do a "completed auctions" search on ebay and see what the set you have has actually SOLD for. You can always list it with a good price and a "make offer" option that you can accept or not. Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

Take it to a upscale consignment shop or to a auction house.  It will cost you a lot of money to ship if you sell on EBAY.

Esteemed Contributor

If you want to sell it for the going price of silver, then go to a gold and silver shop that buys those things. 

If you want to sell it for the pattern/pieces, then Replacements ltd might be able to assisted or other shops that actually sell the items. 

I find having such nice things is a comfort of sort when one entertains and sets a lovely table. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

Take it to a upscale consignment shop or to a auction house.  It will cost you a lot of money to ship if you sell on EBAY.

They buyer will pay shipping on Ebay, and from what I've looked at, some patterns sell quite high. You have a much bigger field to sell to online than what someone might give you locally. Check both avenues then decide what will be best for you, asking yourself if you want the most money or the easier route to getting rid of it.

Esteemed Contributor

Don't get your hopes up too high by looking at 'for sale' prices.  I inherited 6 pc place setting with a few serving spoons, meat knife, etc.  The handles on the knives were large but hollow - buyers only consider the solid silver areas.   That being said:   I was tired of warehousing them - couldn't put in dishwasher - had to polish so wanted to get rid of it.  Antique dealer gold/silver gave me around $1500 = I was happy. (I did not shop around)

Honored Contributor

When I was going through my mom's things, I found a bunch of odd pieces silver  flatware. 

I brought them to a jewelery store that buys gold and silver.  He offered me several hundred dollars, and I thought that was fair. 

Honored Contributor

Sterling silver depends somewhat on the pattern you are trying to sell and the pieces.  If some of the pieces are rare and in a popular pattern they will go for WAY beyond the scrap silver price.  Of course the heavier and more intricate patterns sell for more.

Sometimes you can get more for sets or groups, sometimes not.  It depends a lot on the condition.  If you are going to sell on ebay get great pictures if you can, be sure to show the backstamp or maker's mark of all.  Weight the pieces if possible. and POLISH THEM WITH A GOOD SILVER POLISH LIKE HAGERTY.  It isn't hard, but it will increase a lot.  DO NOT put it on aluminum foil and clean it that way, because you don't want to take the tarnish out of the intricate patterns in the pieces.

It is a shame to sell good pieces for scrap because they are works of art and have value for their beauty.  I ihate to see it melted down.

If you have more questions, ask.  A lot of us have experience with this sort of thing.