Respected Contributor

Re: Solicitors overkill!!!...a vent

Thanks for all your advice and sharing your experiences. I told my husband when he walked in the door earlier that there were too many people ringing the doorbell as well as knocking loudly all day long. He told me I did right not to answer the door and he agreed to get a security system/camera installed but he will do it himself this weekend. 

I told him about getting a sign "no soliciting" and he told me they don't work. I am still going to make one and hang it up outside. 

Respected Contributor

From your suggestions I will call our local police dept. tomorrow to report the solicitors and what the town allows with them regarding coming on my property. 

Respected Contributor

@BabyYoda Here's another suggestion:

soliciting

Denise
Respected Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

@BabyYoda Here's another suggestion:

soliciting

@denisemb This is just too funny! I still think they will still knock/ring doorbell. 

Respected Contributor

I have a small no soliciting sign and it works, except the johovas witness banged on my door....I answered and said, I didn't know johovas witnesses can't read...they never came back

Honored Contributor

I point to the "No Soliciting" sign right next to the doorbell they just rang and tell them they've got 15 seconds to get off my property before I call the police.

It's not a good idea to not answer the door because it could be criminals casing your place to see if anyone is home.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Post a notice (they sell them like they do For Sale signs. Businesses have them too.

If they persist and don't understand "what part of this don't you understand?", let them know you'll be phoning the police, post that in your handwriting under the notice!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I point to the "No Soliciting" sign right next to the doorbell they just rang and tell them they've got 15 seconds to get off my property before I call the police.

It's not a good idea to not answer the door because it could be criminals casing your place to see if anyone is home.

This is good advice and it is what I do.

Respected Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

sign

LOL!  I need that.   We don't get a lot of them, just enough.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

I made a bright yellow 3x5 card and printed in Spanish and English "No Soliciting No Handbills No Flyers No Cards"

It is placed near the handle on the front glass storm door.

Works pretty well.

Our city has a soliciting ordinance with a fine but that doesn't stop the door-to-door activity.

In our area we are advised to answer the front door -- just don't open it. Talk through the door and yell something like "I'll get it Bob!"  Many times criminals are ringing the doorbell/knocking and if no one answers they go around back and kick in the door. Happened to the people behind us -- they were home.

We also have an intercom system that allows us to talk to anyone on the front porch without opening the door. We can use the intercom from any room in the house. Who knew that when our house was built in the 1970s this feature would be so handy?