Honored Contributor

Re: Social security increase for 2022

[ Edited ]

Truth is most of us will get more $ from SS than we put in.  I am grateful for any increase.  I hope our kids do as well as us.

Trusted Contributor

I heard that increase will amount to 94.00 a month.I sure will take that.Many years almost nothing.

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

@hckynut    Maximum  benefit is $3895. To receive this you need 35 years of high earnings.   

Social Security and Medicare are entitlements because those who have paid into the system for the required number of quarters are entitled to receive these benefits without means testing. In this case entitlement is NOT a derogatory term. 

I heard somebody say they were going to cut down the folks on the high end of SS as you mentioned above @50Mickey . Are you aware of this possibility?  I've heard about the 600 reporting to the IRS, but, I think this gal listens to conspiracy theory nonsense.

@SharkE   I don't know anything about this Sharke.

@50Mickey 

@SharkE 

Oh yes, that possible action is actively being discussed.  Nothing definite yet, but not just conspiracy theory.

Occasional Contributor

Everyone in Congress should remind themselves that the largest group of voters will have their say on who stays and who goes. Don't mess with the baby boomers! 

Esteemed Contributor

"As used by "those that be", they chose to use the word Entitlement as "me" getting something for doing nothing. There are tons of better words in their book of terms they could use for "giving you back money you earned that "they", used interest free, for decades." @hckynut 

Entitlement is the perfect word in that an entitlement is something to which you have a right. Entitlement doesn't mean getting something for nothing. Being entitled is defined as having a legal right to something. For example, if someone leaves you something in their will, you're entitled to receive it. If you sell your home and make a financial gain you're entitled to receive the capital made from that transaction. It's a good thing! 

It seems the negative feeling about the word comes from something very different than a true entitlement, such as SS or Medicare, as opposed to someone who has a "false sense of entitlement." 

For example I've read that millennials are the me, me, me generation who feel entitled to things they haven't earned, however, I would say there has been an excellent example of a false sense of entitlement with what we have witnessed here over the past two weeks with posts about what QVC "owes" us. 

So you see, one is real--SS is your entitlement because you earned it and are therefore entitled to receive it. Compare that to the "false sense of entitlement" which is the feeling of something being owed when, in reality, it's not. The two are very different and easy to differentiate. 

* Just a note on a separate topic ~

Something I found interesting is the maximum taxable earnings for SS in 2021 is $142,800. Not sure why I found it interesting other than it being one thing not already mentioned when discussing high earners and those who receive the maximum monthly benefit. 

Honored Contributor

@bewise wrote:

I heard that increase will amount to 94.00 a month.I sure will take that.Many years almost nothing.

@bewise 

Sounds about right for the gross amount of my $1300. The net amount after the Medicare deduction after this increase?  I'm figuring it will get me 1.7 gallons of gas.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Truth is most of us will get more $ from SS than we put in.  I am grateful for any increase.  I hope our kids do as well as us.

ITA.

And feel for the current and future generations as most won't likely receive a pension when they retire. 

Plus younger people currently on Social Security Disability or Supplemental Security Income, who didn't work certain jobs, also don't get that extra monthly amount.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

IIRC, those receiving SSDI will get an extra $70.00/month.

If that's their only income. and especially if they have zero assets, it will be much appreciated.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SusieQ_2 

I will go with the definition below, from my dictionary of choice, which is what I believe is why "those that be" chose that Word/Caption.

Entitlement: "the belief that one is inherently deserving  of privileges or special treatment". 

Instead of under the Caption "Entitlement",  how about "those that be" use the Caption "Debts"? Which is more fitting since they borrowed my money.

When one borrows money from a bank they do not ledger it under "Entitlements", at least they never have used that with any my loans. It's usually listed under "Loan" and "Payments".

Now then, forward I shall go!

hckynut(john)🥅🏒

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut 

Do you remember back around 2008/09 we didn't get a raise for 5 years!! from S.S? I think we well deserve this increase since it hasn't been near this in 4 decades. My DH and I are no where near the max and I am just grateful we are still here to collect. Woman Happy