Esteemed Contributor

Re: Social security increase for 2022

@geezerette wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

@hckynut    Maximum  benefit is $3895. To receive this you need 35 years of high earnings.   

Social Security and Medicare are entitlements because those who have paid into the system for the required number of quarters are entitled to receive these benefits without means testing. In this case entitlement is NOT a derogatory term. 

I heard somebody say they were going to cut down the folks on the high end of SS as you mentioned above @50Mickey . Are you aware of this possibility?  I've heard about the 600 reporting to the IRS, but, I think this gal listens to conspiracy theory nonsense.

@SharkE   I don't know anything about this Sharke.

@50Mickey 

@SharkE 

Oh yes, that possible action is actively being discussed.  Nothing definite yet, but not just conspiracy theory.

@geezerette @SharkE 

No one will be taking social security benefits from those who are entitled to it.

@gertrudecloset 

That's not at all what I was talking about.  

That's what I replied to as I saw that Sharke made this statement and you chimed in with agreement.  That's what I saw, so that's why I responded to.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Zaimee wrote:

@gertrudecloset  @bewise 

You  told @bewise  that the more you get, the bigger the percent.

Everyone gets the same 5.9 %. On $1000, that is $59. But, on $2000, that is $118. More money, but same percentage increase.

I received email yesterday from SS that they will mail out your new amount in December or you can check online in December if you cannot wait for snail mail.Or, do the math yourself is the quickest.

Also,  another change but not for retirees. Payroll tax taken out up to amount $142,8000 will be increased to 147,000. 
Current admin wants this changed to $400,000. This would add to SS reserves. 

@Zaimee of course, what I said is accurate.  Is 10% of 100,000 more than 10% of 500,000?  Go ahead and figure that out for me.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

@hckynut    Maximum  benefit is $3895. To receive this you need 35 years of high earnings.   

Social Security and Medicare are entitlements because those who have paid into the system for the required number of quarters are entitled to receive these benefits without means testing. In this case entitlement is NOT a derogatory term. 

I heard somebody say they were going to cut down the folks on the high end of SS as you mentioned above @50Mickey . Are you aware of this possibility?  I've heard about the 600 reporting to the IRS, but, I think this gal listens to conspiracy theory nonsense.

@50Mickey 

@SharkE 

Oh yes, that possible action is actively being discussed.  Nothing definite yet, but not just conspiracy theory.

@geezerette please cite a source for this supposed factual info.  Thanks.

@gertrudecloset 

Just do a simple search.  There are many sites reporting it.   Various interpretations, some not necessarily correct.  And, as I said, it's just being discussed by treasury, etc. 

@geezerette   I actually don't have to look it up as I know it's not true.  This is likely the same reason you won't bother to provide a source.

@gertrudecloset 

You can choose to believe whatever you wish.  I'm sure whatever sources I sited would not meet your criteria, which is why I told you to search for your own.  But apparently you already know you're right, so there's no sense in me going on from here.

🙂

Respected Contributor

Wow Social Security approves a 5.9 % increase in SS benefits and a $10 increase in Medicare premiums and some still find something to complain about. 

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette 

Of course, I can.  I choose not to believe statements made about cutting back on high earning Social Security recipients which is posted herein and that I have replied to.

Thx.

Trusted Contributor

And Medicare going up 6.7% . They think we can't do the math?😠

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

@50Mickey 

@SharkE 

This is what I was referring to @geezerette .  Not true at all.

Valued Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@bewise wrote:

I heard that increase will amount to 94.00 a month.I sure will take that.Many years almost nothing.

@bewise that amount will be more for some.  The more you get the bigger the percentage, right?

Again, the percentage is the same whether 5.9 or 10%. 

Obviously, the  constant for the increase is 5.9%, The amount  each person receives depends on what they got in 2021.

Honored Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

And Medicare going up 6.7% . They think we can't do the math?😠

@Duckncover 

6.7% of $148.50 is $9.95.

5.9% of your Social Security benefit would be?  Did you do the math?

Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

5.9% increase. 

Largest cost of living increase in 39 years.

It is about time. The government borrowa (steals) from Social Security and never pays us back.