Honored Contributor

@SharkEwrote:

not sure what your saying. You keep paying your long term care premium even when your in nursing home and using the long term care insurance.

Never heard of "expiration dates" either. News to me . Unless you mean how long the policy is in effect for when you enter a nursing home. 

Ours pays out for 4 yrs. per person. If one doesn't use up all of their 4 yrs ( dies)it's

added to the other surviving spouse's time in nursing home.

@SharkE

If you're talking to me, I think I would know if I was still paying a premium or not.  I do not pay premiums anymore.  I got my LTC policy years ago when I was in my 50s.  It was a far better policy than anyone can get these days.  It costs me nothing.

I really don't know anything about expiration dates.  I have just read that today's policies have them.  I don't know if it's true or not.  Mine is lifetime, or "indefinite," which means;

indeterminate, unspecified, unlimited, unrestricted, undecided, undetermined, undefined, unfixed, unsettled, unknown, uncertain; More

limitless, infinite, endless, immeasurable
"an indefinite period"

Maybe you're talking about Medicare.  Of course I pay a premium for that out of my Social Security.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

I am only eleven.  I never got out of the 6th grade.  But the social security checks do help and I EARNED THEM.  lol

Honored Contributor

?

Honored Contributor

@LilacTreewrote:

@SharkEwrote:

not sure what your saying. You keep paying your long term care premium even when your in nursing home and using the long term care insurance.

Never heard of "expiration dates" either. News to me . Unless you mean how long the policy is in effect for when you enter a nursing home. 

Ours pays out for 4 yrs. per person. If one doesn't use up all of their 4 yrs ( dies)it's

added to the other surviving spouse's time in nursing home.

@SharkE

If you're talking to me, I think I would know if I was still paying a premium or not.  I do not pay premiums anymore.  I got my LTC policy years ago when I was in my 50s.  It was a far better policy than anyone can get these days.  It costs me nothing.

I really don't know anything about expiration dates.  I have just read that today's policies have them.  I don't know if it's true or not.  Mine is lifetime, or "indefinite," which means;

indeterminate, unspecified, unlimited, unrestricted, undecided, undetermined, undefined, unfixed, unsettled, unknown, uncertain; More

limitless, infinite, endless, immeasurable
"an indefinite period"

Maybe you're talking about Medicare.  Of course I pay a premium for that out of my Social Security.

I'm thinking we're talking about 2 different things. I'm talking about 8% more a yr for every yr. you defer retirement.

I looked it up online and they make reference to 8% more based on percentages and show a chart and how it breaks down to percentages way complicated.

Why they complicate matters using the example of 8% is beyond me.

I know back couple of yrs. ago they dropped the program I'm talking about and it passed congress in 2 days then, they gave the folks 6 months to be grandfathered in. We were already grandfathered in so we beat the rush to the SS office. Hardly anybody even knew about that option. It was in the paper. I know it was in the paper in Oct and it was no longer available in either April or May

You had to be born in such and such yr and turn 66 by the end of the yr to even be considered for the 6 month extension before they abolished it.

Anything to do with SS and Gov. business is complicated and you have to have a degree in economics to figure it all out. LOL

Just pay attention to your local SS rep. I wish you the best !

Honored Contributor

@SharkE

Yes.  We are talking about two entirely different programs.  My LTC insurance covers anyone who qualifies for the benefits.  There is a long medical approval process which has to be approved by their Board (made up of registered nurses).  I passed that easily.  It has no age limit on either end.  If you are debilitated and need help with your daily care, you qualify.

They call me once a year, and my PCP fills out a form once a year.  The only exemption they have is if one has to spend 24 hours (overnight) in the hospital.  We have to report that, and they deduct benefits for that period of time.  So far I have not had to do that even when I had my back surgery.  I recuperated (if one can call it that) in my home, and OTs and PTs came to my home for physical therapy.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

The decision on what age to sign up for SS should be driven by how dependant you are going to be on your SS funds after you retire. If you have personal wealth that you feel can sustain your lifestyle no matter how old you get - you are able to do whatever you please. But the vast majority of retirees DEPEND ON their SS check for income to live on, month to month.To be getting 25% less each month would be a big hit to the average working person. Personally, my DH gets $383 a month pension , I get (woo hoo) $126, beside this we only have our savings and our SS.We never would have even considered for a moment taking that 25% cut in SS to retire at 62.

Sadly, many folks think - or have been told by someone that the reduced amount will only be until they are 66 then they will get their whole amount. They are very upset when they learn the truth.

Honored Contributor

@151949  The SS law has changed a little more than a year ago.  I was planning on collecting SS when I turned 62 on my earnings,  then when I turned 66 to collect on my husband’s SS, where I would get more...actually I would get half of his amount.

I signed up for SS a few months ahead of my 62nd birthday,  but then the law was changed and at the last minute I cancelled collecting it.  

My older sister did this by collecting at age 62 as well as many of my friends.  I just was too young to take advantage of this when it was allowed. So many people did indeed go on SS at age 62 and then they got more SS at age 66 under their spouses SS before the law was changed. They were not disappointed.

My DH and I both get a nice sizable pension from our employers, plus I own a business that gives me additional income.  We can live well without SS, so we have put off collecting it, but I know we will not wait until age 70 to collect. We might be dead by then.

My DH has worked a part time job with the government that he started a few years before he retired on his days off.  He can collect another pension from them if he works part time for another 16 months.  He only works 2 to 4 days a week and only when he wants to.  During the summer, he takes off a lot and only works a few days a month.

He is planning on working,another 16 months  and then going on SS at that time too. He will collect the maximum amount that SS pays anyone which is about $2788.  He could collect $3605 if he waits until age 70, which he won’t do. These are 2108 amounts and could change by then.

I will have to wait to age 66 to get full SS benefits, but I think I will collect a year earlier, so I don’t end up paying for Medicare Part B out of my pocket. We will both end up paying more than $134 a month for Medicare Part B at that point.

i have planned for our retirement since I was in my 30’s.  So far most things have worked out well.  I got sidelined when the stock market took a hit...I lost a ton of money twice, then got knocked off the path when SS changed the rules a month before my 62 birthday.

No matter what your situation, SS should never be your main source of income.  Unfortunally, for many people it is.

So far for us, we should have enough to live comfortably the rest of our lives.  I hope so.

I have promised that I would pay for my youngest grand daughter’s college if she keeps her grades up.  She is 13 and a straight A student so far.  I hope she continues to do well.  I also hope college tutition does not double in five years.

Esteemed Contributor

@OKPrincess

I was living with my mother in 1982 - her bedroom was in the back of the house and my bedroom was in the front. Every morning I'd hear her in the kitchen as she got up earlier than I did. This one morning, I didn't hear her - so I went to her bedroom - and she was "on the floor." I said, mom - how long have u been on the floor - and she said she didn't know. I called 911 and it took 2 EMTs to pick her up. They took her to the hospital - and after being there for a month, she passed away. She was sick for 2-1/2 years --- but there were many good days - so I was happy for that. She was the BEST mother and I'm still missing her every day.

Esteemed Contributor

@OKPrincess

There aren't many symptoms.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Social Security

[ Edited ]

@Allegheny

I had my colonoscopy - and they removed 1 polyp. It was benign. Have to go back in 5 yrs. Great News!!!!! The anesthesiologist told me that I'll "be out of it" when I wake up. I told him that I bounce back fast. As soon as I opened my eyes -- I was conscious - walking and talking. The anesthesiologist and nurses couldn't believe it.