Respected Contributor

Re: 💲Social Security owed her $100K💲

I saw the story on the news - I'm so glad she fought for what was hers and didn't give up!  I didn't hear she had gotten an apartment, but so glad she has found a home. 

Super Contributor

Wow, Wanda Witter and Julie Turner, her social worker, are true heroes for taking on and beating the inept system that caused this woman to sleep on the streets.

I dearly hope that the attorney who took in her case did it pro bono and that the IRS doesn't come after her for back taxes. After all, if she had gotten her monthly benefit in the first place, she wouldn't have owed any taxes.

What concerns me about this story is that it says she is renting a studio apartment on Capitol Hill.  Rents for even a studio apartment in that location can easily exceed her monthly benefit. Studio apartments in that area can rent for $2000.00 a month or more. Then, of course, she has to pay for utilities if not included, food, medications, transportation, etc.

She is obviously a very intelligent, savvy woman but I hope that the social worker is still involved to make sure her money lasts and that she doesn't end up back on the streets. Since she is 80 years old, she might pass away before her money runs out but I would strongly advise her to move to a cheaper location in the area or out of the area, if necessary, to make sure she never has to go through this nightmare again.

What an amazing woman!

Honored Contributor

Why didn't a family member, or friend take this women in?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Super Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Why didn't a family member, or friend take this women in?

That's a great question @goldensrbest. Maybe someone here has the answer.

Your question prompted me to wonder if all kinds of "lost" relatives might now come crawling out of the woodwork after seeing her story.

What a tough cookie she is!