Esteemed Contributor

Re: Social Security, need help determining the amount

@GingerPeach wrote:

@AnnMarie-1 

I'm guessing you already know if you wait until full retirement age instead of starting now at 62, the checks will be larger.

I found that the difference each month is 2/3 of 1%, but I don't know the answer to your specific question about the starting date.

@GingerPeach 

I did all that math when I retired. Was offered a buyout by the company. So, pen in hand/calculator close by, I figured out my numbers.

If I would have continued to work I would be working for $1.10 per hour. Now that was 1991, but that was not even close to my hourly pay, over a period of 5 years. I was 52 and 10 years away from Social Security.

I did the same type of math before I turned 62. Had I waited till I was 65 and gotten the highest amount?  My math showed me it would take me 13 years before I would actually have any net income from my SS.

With my life philosophy of "nobody is guaranteed tomorrow" and "man was born to live, not to prepare for life"? My decision was pretty simple.

Now it is 30 years retired and 17 years past 65, so!  Would my SS been higher those 17 years? Yes! Would I change the ways I came to my conclusions?

No!  In those "13" and "17" years respectively. I lived a whole lot more of my life free of punching time clocks/been able to get more involved in things that were/are my passions. Those are things, that to me, no amount of $$$ could ever buy, including those many much younger years.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@AnnMarie-1 wrote:

I am 62 & 2 months now

Considering you do not get your first check for 3 months, I ask this:

If I apply now, when I do get a check is the paid amount based the date I applied at 62 & 2 months

OR

does it add on the 3 months & you get the 62 & 5 months amount?

Thank you,

AM

Why don't you call the Social Security Administration to get answers to your questions?  They are much more likely to be reliable answers.  Why ask your personal business on this forum? @AnnMarie-1 .  Yes, wait times can be long when you call, but at least you'll get the right answers.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@AnnMarie-1   Suggest you contact the Social Security Administration.  Such questions asked here are rife with misinformation.  Contacting them is very easy.

Exactly @Kachina624 .  Just takes a little patience with hold times, but it's worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

@AnnMarie-1 wrote:

I might have to go in person, yes

You're on the internet why not go to the Social Security website?  Lots of Q&A there.  There is even a calculator I believe that will help you determine a lot of things.  You can even set up an account on my SS.gov.

Really, asking people here you're looking for trouble.  Everyone's circumstance is different @AnnMarie-1 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@AnnMarie-1 wrote:

Not gping to be easy to talk to someone as they say to call another time & disconnect your call, great

@AnnMarie-1 Nothing about SS is "easy" I've found.  Just call and call and when you get put on hold, put the phone on speaker, go about your business and wait.

Going to the office is waiting with a lot of people.  Can't you go online and get the information?  I think they have places where you can calculate the information and play around with the numbers.

My thoughts exactly @Sooner .  She can even create an account there and do a few things while she's there.

Contributor

Go to their website. They have calculators to help you. I applied for mine in February when I turned 66. They paid me for January also. I don't think you will get too much difference in $$ for the 3 months. But usually they pay when you apply. It doesn't take long to get payment with direct deposit. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AnnMarie-1 wrote:

I am 62 & 2 months now

Considering you do not get your first check for 3 months, I ask this:

If I apply now, when I do get a check is the paid amount based the date I applied at 62 & 2 months

OR

does it add on the 3 months & you get the 62 & 5 months amount?

Thank you,

AM

You need to call Social Security or go to one of their offices and ask questions. They are very helpful and easy to understand. I started my Social Security 6 months early and they calculated how much I could earn at my job and still receive the Social Security up until my leagal date to start Social Security.

Trusted Contributor

@AnnMarie-1 wrote:

I just tried calling the 800 # & they said no one available at the moment & to call back & hung up,  too funny, not even put on hold

They used to only be available during stanndard business hours and they should show you what the hours are on the internet site.

Trusted Contributor

@AnnMarie-1 wrote:

Local SS phone #'s are no good, won't even ring LOL

I'll keep trying the main SS phone # & if I find out I will let you know!

It should not be this hard. I went to the computer site first to get information and then spoke to someone. I did not have all the problems you are having. It may be because you are calling at times that are not standard business hours (9AM to 5PM)

Honored Contributor

I'm glad you made your own choice, @hckynutjohn 

What worked for you was not at all my situation, so I made use of another option. 
I think the whole point is that everyone's situation is different, so even if someone asks a question, the answers may or may not apply since we don't know anyone else's particulars.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.