Esteemed Contributor

Re: Social Security Information

@ILoveFragrance

@ILoveFragrance wrote:

I said I hate it for her if she does not get a raise I did not say I hated her.  Thank you all for the posts. I will share with her but tell her nothing is for sure until October or November.

I heard it last week on the radio.  It said the highest in a Lon g time,2.2,,%.  We have not had a raise in about 3 years.  The highest I got a few years ago was 2.5.  Well water, PGE, CABLE, gas, food, have all increased in the last few years.  Last year,  o raise, but Medicare increase out of SS pay.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is off topic

Esteemed Contributor

@nomless wrote:
@shoekitt wrote:

I take care of SS for my disabled brother.  They receive one or the other. He has been receiving SS disability for 40 years.  He has never worked.  Most people who get permanent disability without working do so on their parents SS.  It doesn't take away from her pmts, but it is just a technicality. 

You cannot get ss and disability at the same time.  Same for widowed spouses.  If you both collect Ss, when one dies you loose the other.  They do give you the higher of the two.  That is what is such a hardship for many, and kind of unfair 

No, it's not infair. One person, one payment. Just like all singles.  That's why all of us need to plan for other income to supplement to SS.

Exactly.  Getting both is what would be unfair.

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

@ILoveFragrance

@ILoveFragrance wrote:

I said I hate it for her if she does not get a raise I did not say I hated her.  Thank you all for the posts. I will share with her but tell her nothing is for sure until October or November.

I heard it last week on the radio.  It said the highest in a Lon g time,2.2,,%.  We have not had a raise in about 3 years.  The highest I got a few years ago was 2.5.  Well water, PGE, CABLE, gas, food, have all increased in the last few years.  Last year,  o raise, but Medicare increase out of SS pay.

And people who are still working, have not had raises either, and have seen big cuts in their benefits.  They also have to pay more for all the expenses you mentioned.  Many also have dependents to support.  

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

Disability doesn't end at retirement age.

It may be reduced, but if the person is still disabled and at full retirement age, they will draw both.

@ILoveFragrance

@software  Well that sounds like a racket.  And double dipping to boot.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@software  You are mistaken you can NOT draw both SSI and SS.  Usually the regular SS is the best because you get more money, that is why most folks switch from disability to SS when they retire.

@Imaoldhippie  I see I should have read further.  Thank you for clarifying.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@september wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

@ILoveFragrance

@ILoveFragrance wrote:

And people who are still working, have not had raises either, and have seen big cuts in their benefits.  They also have to pay more for all the expenses you mentioned.  Many also have dependents to support.  

Around here working people do seem to be getting raises finally, @september.  The SS cola though is based on a formula and it looks like people on SS will get a small boost this year.  

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

It may be reduced, but if the person is still disabled and at full retirement age, they will draw both.

@ILoveFragrance

That's absolutely not true.  Not logical and not true.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@software wrote:

@ILoveFragrance

That's absolutely not true.  Not logical and not true.

You are correct @NYC Susan, my oldest sister has MS and has received SSD for several years. When she reaches retirement age in a few years she will then receive regular SS, she was given this information by The Social Security Administration.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

I am 62 and currently get SSDI, I am under the impression that it will remain the same when I turn 65, if there is something different I need to call or visit my local SS office

It stops at your regular retirement age but just automatically switches to regular SS.For me it was when I was 66. You wouldn't even know it happened but they send you a letter.

Yes...that is how it is done....