Honored Contributor

Re: Social Security Information

It was 65 back when the retirement age for full benefits was 65 but that's not the case now. If a person's full retirement age is 67 and they are on SSADI, they would be disabled until 67.  My sister is on SSADI, and I doubt that they'll be getting a 2.2% increase.  It hasn't been that high in  many years.  

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

Disability doesn't end at retirement age.

It may be reduced, but if the person is still disabled and at full retirement age, they will draw both.

@ILoveFragrance

Draw both?  No way. They don't lose any money in their check but when they hit their retirement age, their bennefit shifts to their Retirement benefit.  I'm sure they would love it if they got two checks from SSA...lol

Honored Contributor

I am 62 and currently get SSDI, I am under the impression that it will remain the same when I turn 65, if there is something different I need to call or visit my local SS office

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@software  You are mistaken you can NOT draw both SSI and SS.  Usually the regular SS is the best because you get more money, that is why most folks switch from disability to SS when they retire.

I feel like the SSA whisperer today, there's so much misinformation floating around.  SSI and SSA are NOT the same thing.  SSI is basically for poor people who do not quality for SSA benefits.  There are income and resource limits for SSI but not for SSA.  There are disability benefits under both programs but one does not get to choose.  SSI regs are a bit less stringent than SSA for disability, so some folks who do not qualify for SSADI migh qualify for SSI DI but only if they are low income with little to no resources.  So, yes a person might receive  SSI DI and collect SSA Retirement benefits when they reach the age.  SSI has been around for decades and I am always surprised by the people don't know what it is and assume that the two programs are the same.  SSI is a welfare program.  SSA is an insurance program that workers and employers contribute to.  We earn our SSA benefits.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ILoveFragrance wrote:

I found out for my friend finally that a persons disability does not end until they reach retirement age.  My friend said she was told it ended at 65 and maybe it did at one time but not now. So in case someone wants to know I also asked about the reported 2.2% raise for 2018 and she said no she doubts it will be that high............so my friend is upset...............I hate it for her............I try to help when I can.

@ILoveFragrance

Your post is a bit vague .....   just who is your source?  Did you go to a SS office and speak to someone there?  

As for "she" doubts the increase will be that high ... just who is "she"?

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ILoveFragrance  I read an article in the business section that stated the following:

"The SSA won't decide on an increase until it compares this years third quarter inflation numbers to last years numbers, but based on inflation data in the first quarter, recipients could end up getting a 2.56% bump in SS income in 2018".

Valued Contributor

I hope she sees this and tells her friend. Hate to know an elderly lady is upset or worried.

Honored Contributor

This is one of those things that EACH PERSON needs to go and find out for themselves what THEY will qualify for and not go by what others receive.

What my son will receive may very will be different from what his grandfather will receive or a neighbor because each has their own unique situation. 

If you're concerned, contact SS.

Honored Contributor

@garmer wrote:

I hope she sees this and tells her friend. Hate to know an elderly lady is upset or worried.

@garmer, I wouldn't worry too much. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

I said I hate it for her if she does not get a raise I did not say I hated her.  Thank you all for the posts. I will share with her but tell her nothing is for sure until October or November.