Regular Contributor

Re: Social Security Information

Oh, I so dislike correcting but it does end at retirement age.  I have talked to SS.  Several they all said the same thing.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

That is what SS said Sea.

Regular Contributor

I spoke with the manager of the SS office for my friend.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did contact SS for my friend today. Why is this post so confusing.  People are not reading my post.

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

This is one of those things that EACH PERSON needs to go and find out for themselves what THEY will qualify for and not go by what others receive.

What my son will receive may very will be different from what his grandfather will receive or a neighbor because each has their own unique situation. 

If you're concerned, contact SS.

Yes, OMG, please!!

Some of the info posted here is completely wrong.  And yes, there are variables.  This is not the place to be seeking accurate information on this topic.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ILoveFragrance wrote:

I said I hate it for her if she does not get a raise I did not say I hated her.  Thank you all for the posts. I will share with her but tell her nothing is for sure until October or November.

She should not be getting her information from you.  There are wildly different opinions here, and you have no way of knowing who is right and who is wrong.  If you want to be helpful, you need to steer her toward actual facts specific to her.  It sounds as though you're causing this lady undue distress.

Honored Contributor

@ILoveFragrance wrote:

I did contact SS for my friend today. Why is this post so confusing.  People are not reading my post.

Your friend needs to contact SS herself.  Individual cases vary.  SS can give you only general information.  She must discuss her own situation.

Asking such important questions here will yield misinformation and more confusion.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

Disability doesn't end at retirement age.

It may be reduced, but if the person is still disabled and at full retirement age, they will draw both.

@ILoveFragrance

@software No they won't.  My husband has been collecting SS disability for two years now.  Next year he will turn 66 and at that time his disability payment will seamlessly go right into regular social security retirement.  He won't collect disability at the same time.

Of course I wouldn't mind if he did!

Valued Contributor

Cat Tongue

Honored Contributor

I take care of SS for my disabled brother.  They receive one or the other. He has been receiving SS disability for 40 years.  He has never worked.  Most people who get permanent disability without working do so on their parents SS.  It doesn't take away from her pmts, but it is just a technicality. 

You cannot get ss and disability at the same time.  Same for widowed spouses.  If you both collect Ss, when one dies you loose the other.  They do give you the higher of the two.  That is what is such a hardship for many, and kind of unfair