Honored Contributor

Re: Social Security 2023 COLA Countdown

@50Mickey wrote:

@Desert Lily   I have a friend who worked for the state of Massachusetts. She only paid into the state pension plan therefore she is not entitled to receive social security benefits but she receives a state pension. 

I worked for 34 years for the state of Georgia. Georgia state employees were required to pay into both plans. Money was deducted for social security and for the Employees Retirement Benefits from our monthly wages. We probably didn't realize at the time how fortunate we were to be covered by both plans. Now I am extremely grateful that I paid for these benefits for all 34 years.

@50Mickey : I am retired state employee and very thankful and blessed. I had  a friend to laugh at what my deductions were and bragged about working under the table for several years but my retirement income is way more than her $500 social security check.

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@Kachina624 Thanks for the Hormel Compleats idea.  I had no idea they exist.   One of the businesses around here must have them.  I know they carry lots of individual meal kits that have to be refrigerated, but they also have plenty of Hormel products I've rarely paid much attention to.

@millieshops I have one not shown in this picture- macaroni and cheese. 

E084FF37-235D-4228-97E2-A89CD9D8A48E.jpeg

@gidgetgh This stuff right here is so not good for you to eat.  Laden with sodium and all kinds of transfats.  To each his own, however.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Two recent forecasts peg the 2023 COLA at 10.5% and 10.8%:

1. The Senior Citizens League, an advocacy group, predicted a 10.5% COLA in July. The prediction marked an increase from the organization's June COLA estimate of 8.6 [CB1]%.
  2. The nonpartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget said the 2023 COLA could be 10.8 [CB2]% if inflation remains high for the rest of the year.
♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

1. The Senior Citizens League, an advocacy group, predicted a 10.5% COLA in July. The prediction marked an increase from the organization's June COLA estimate of 8.6 [CB1]%.
  2. The nonpartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget said the 2023 COLA could be 10.8 [CB2]% if inflation remains high for the rest of the year.

If a person brings in the max Social Security benefit that would mean a substantial increase! Hope it happens!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

@DesertdiThis is revised every quarter.  The last revision was for 8.7% of an increase.  Not likely a double digit increase at all.

Last month, the Senior Citizens League foresaw a 9.6% COLA in 2023. With August's inflation data in, though, the organization has revised its prediction to a more conservative 8.7%.

The average Social Security benefit is $1,657 per month -- if the 8.7% bump is correct, that would work out to an increase of about $144 a month.

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/heres-how-much-social-security-benefits-could-increase-in-2023...

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh 

So true. I got a coupon for a free entree when these first came out. I read the ingredient list and decided this is garbage. Sodium overload. 

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@Kachina624 Thanks for the Hormel Compleats idea.  I had no idea they exist.   One of the businesses around here must have them.  I know they carry lots of individual meal kits that have to be refrigerated, but they also have plenty of Hormel products I've rarely paid much attention to.

@gidgetgh This stuff right here is so not good for you to eat.  Laden with sodium and all kinds of transfats.  To each his own, however.

@gertrudecloset - the only one I have ever bought is the macaroni and cheese and it is still sitting in my pantry, just in case I need it.  I posted the pictures because @millieshops  had never seen them and @Kachina624  had suggested them to her. I wanted her to know what she's looking for if she is interested. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

@gidgetgh 

So true. I got a coupon for a free entree when these first came out. I read the ingredient list and decided this is garbage. Sodium overload. 

@deeva - again, I have never eaten one. Read the previous comments. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@gertrudecloset - the only one I have ever bought is the macaroni and cheese and it is still sitting in my pantry, just in case I need it.  I posted the pictures because @millieshops  had never seen them and @Kachina624  had suggested them to her. I wanted her to know what she's looking for if she is interested. 

Gotcha.  Lord if I could eat quick meals like this, I would.  I have to cook for one nowadays and have to steer clear of a lot of this prepared stuff due to medical conditions.  By all means watch your sodium intake, ladies and the transfat.  It's not good for us.  Thanks @gidgetgh 

I can see sodium in canned goods as preservatives, but never understood why frozen meals have so much sodium too.  I learned the hard way.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh 

Excuse me